PDA

View Full Version : Just saying howdy

okiecruffler
02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
New here, thought I might need some good reference now that I'm going to start casting lead again. I used to cast lead jig heads and the like, until I made the mistake of grabbing a hand full of molten lead. Kinda soured me on the idea for a few years.
But now I have a nice new 1911 pistol and the wife is shooting her 357 like it's going out of style, so I figure I should give it another go. So I'll be lurking around and trying to learn something.

LostCajun
02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Howdy back atcha, Cruffler, and welcome to Cast Boolits.
There's lots of good info already here, and lots of good folks to fill in the holes.
Unrelated, but I've just got to tell you that I tried using your web site for evidence to my wife that I DON'T have a collecting problem, but I don't think it worked. She just walked away muttering "We're gonna need a bigger house".
So welcome aboard, read around, and if you can't find a topic, just ask. I'm sure you'll get a thorough discussion on the subject. Just don't expect the discussion to stay close to the original topic for very long. Wide and varied interests around here.
LostCajun

Buckshot
02-03-2006, 02:02 AM
.................Welcome to the board! I had to give up my 01 FFl after 20 years when we moved to town. Guess I should have gotten a C&R.

So what kind of C&R's do ya have?

................Buckshot

Frank46
02-03-2006, 03:15 AM
okiecruffler, welcome to the asylem. Just watch out for the sheep and cats. You'll meet a nice bunch of folks who share the love of cast boolits. And Wills, I got to him before you did.
Frank

45nut
02-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Welcome aboard John. Glad you jumped onboard at CB. You will find lots of like minded folks here.

9.3X62AL
02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Another "welcome aboard" here. The 2 calibers you specified are among the most used by cast boolit enthusiasts, so there's a LOT of "time in grade" with those chamberings here. In my case, they were among the first calibers I got involved with in terms of casting--and both are very lead-friendly.

Any ideas on which mold designs you want for either caliber? It would be very hard to argue against the Lyman #452374 in 45 ACP (or an equivalent by another maker), or a #358429 equivalent in 38/357. If max velocities (1200+) in the 357 are indicated, the gas check design like #358156 might be a good one.

okiecruffler
02-03-2006, 10:53 AM
C&R's, if they made 'em I probably got 'em. Kinda partial to Mosins but my Mausers are growning on me.
I'll probably start with a 230RN 45 and a 148 WC 357. May even try some cast 30's of some flavor. No telling where I might end up.