PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh! I think I goofed! Did I?

straightshooter1
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Happily having discovered "the Load", 13 grains of Red Dot, and seeing that Mr. Harris' article said any full sized 30 caliber or over cartridge was suitable for "The Load", I cranked out almost 200 38-55s with a 260 grain gas checked boolit for my Marlin Cowboy.

Then, thinking about the same thing for my 1940s Marlin 336, I looked at a reloading manual. Waaaaay too much for the 30-30, so then I checked the 38-55.
You know what I found, don't you? 8-8.5 max for Red Dot.

I think I am going to spend some serious and unenjoyable time pulling these boolits. But, before I do, I thought I would ask, in case some of you know something Mr. Lyman doesn't.

Anyone know whether I can safely shoot "The Load" in this gun or, have I made my Marlin into a possible IED just waiting to remove fingers, face, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

45 2.1
02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Pull the bullets!!!!! Follow the loading manuals so you keep those digits attached.

ben1025
02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
In a modern manufactured 38/55 I would not hesitate in shooting 13 grains red dot. Take a look at the loads for the 375 Winchester. Which is almost identical to a 38/55. except it being a modern caliber gun. I haven't used red dot in my modern 38/55 but used plenty of Unique. One of my loads is 13.5 grains Unique with a 250 grain bullet. The load books show loads for the old 38/55 just like most books show 3 different loadings for the 45/70. ben1025

StarMetal
02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I'd go ahead and shoot them. Those 38-55 loads are for the old guns out there. You're is modern. I'd shoot one or two first, see what you think, check the cases and primer for high pressure. If the primers are still pretty rounded on the edges and the cases aren't swelled real bad near the web I'd go ahead and shoot them. I think you're going to find that they are ok.

Joe

straightshooter1
02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with these loads.

First-I talked to a friend who is a "professional" reloader who said he believed I was fine w/these.

Secondly, in my old Lyman 45th, I notice they say 16-18 grains of 2400 for a 249 grain cast (not sure if this is checked or not) and their "factory duplication" load is 17 grains of 2400 with a 255 condom. My "experience" which is limited with these reduced loads having only recently discovered how great they shoot, is that they(13 gr. Red Dot & 16 Gr. 2400) are pretty similar.

I do realize that Red Dot has a much faster burn rate than 2400.

Still on the fence and still reading everything I can find and certainly listening to you on the subject.

Thank you again,

Bob

StarMetal
02-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Bob if you're still worried you can do this. Either you or your friend could hollow point those bullets even while they are loaded if you know what you're doing. By doing this they will weight less and create a lower pressure and surely be well within the safety margin of your modern Marlin, even tho I think they are now as they are loaded.

Joe

omgb
02-02-2006, 02:55 PM
13 gr. of RD is getting close to what the standard 12 GA 11/8 oz trap load uses. My guess is that in a modern gun you are within limits though it's going to be a real smart stepper. Certainly, it won't blow the gun the first time. I think I would fire one and see what it looks like. If OK, I'd fire another. If still OK I'd shoot the lot. Do check primers and case heads and do check for leading. If you used a good drop measure and checked against a scale all should be OK.

KCSO
02-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I regularly used 12.0 in my Marlin 38-55. Remember that the manuals, especially the Lyman only show loads that are ok for any old gun. If you load according to just a particular manual the 45-70 would never go over 1250 fps and the 8 mm Mauser would only be good for 1500 fps, and my Lebel should NEVER be shot.

The load you have made up will just about duplicate the SMOKLESS load that Winchester came out with in the early 1900's. You will be pushing the slug out at about 1750 fps compared to Lyman's 1200 fps, never exceed load. I am a Krag shooter and I have manuals that run from the 30's to the 90's and it is amusing to see that in the last 50 years the Krags have went from nearly as powerful as the 30-06 to never exceed 1600 fps with a cast bullet.

I always try to use the manuals for a guide, but I always use several manuals and I compare cast and jacketed data.

StarMetal
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
KSCO in my opinion answered the question the best. Way to go Jim.

Joe

straightshooter1
02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I am pretty comfortable with the answers now. The important thing is that, although I only came to cast boolits a few years ago and only in the last few months tried out "The Load", I have been loading first handgun, then rifle, for well over 35 years. Therefore I KNOW BETTER than to fail to check the manual or my prior notes/records before starting off on some venture like this.

I was really mad at myself and thought of changing my user name to Bozo. Real good lesson which I will try real hard not to forget. Glad this Board is here with all the real experienced guys who are always ready to help.

Thanks to all,

Bob

slughammer
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Why not load some 11, 12, 12.5 loads to work up to the 13gr load you allready made?

If you were starting from scratch, you'd work your way up. Really no reason to act differently here either.

straightshooter1
02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Excellent idea, slughammer, and I would do so, but, unfortunately I used up my just under 200 pieces of brass.

Bob

9.3X62AL
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Following Slughammer's lead, just de-boolit 15 of the present loads and do that stair-stepping bit with 5 each. A lot less boolit-pulling, and it may serve to set your mind at ease. Good luck, sir.

Blacktail 8541
02-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Deputy Al beat me to my suggestion, pull just a few and work up. Any load in any gun should always use this procedure. Skipping steps will get you in trouble of the worst kind eventially.

MT Gianni
02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
For those who might be reading without knowing I understand "The load" to be for military bolt rifles of various calibers 308 and larger. Gianni.

straightshooter1
02-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I am in the process of pulling a few right now. As to "The Load", Harris seems pretty clear about it being any caliber 30 or over. I heard, not sure where, that he later suggested that 16 grains of 2400 was even better. The article I reread today was from 1994.

Hesitant to ask, but is Mr. Harris still around?

Dale53
02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I am a real fan of "Ed" Harris. He is apparently still with us (he's younger than I am, I believe) but I have heard a really bad thing about him: someone told me that he has turned to GOLF!! :violin:
Oh, how the mighty have fallen... I pray that it isn't true. It is FAR worse than turning to drink, of that I can assure you.

I hope that it is not so. :groner:

Dale53

Slowpoke
02-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I am a real fan of "Ed" Harris. He is apparently still with us (he's younger than I am, I believe) but I have heard a really bad thing about him: someone told me that he has turned to GOLF!! :violin:
Oh, how the mighty have fallen... I pray that it isn't true. It is FAR worse than turning to drink, of that I can assure you.

Dale53

I don't know about the golf thing, but he is still shooting, he just joined the CB-L list and has made a few post's the last few days. He referred to himself as a 58 year old bald fatman, with eyes that are not quite as sharp as they once were, sound familiar?

Good luck

fatnhappy
02-03-2006, 12:07 AM

Dale53

Now what exactly is wrong with drink? It's certainly more relaxing than golf. and another thing, I lost my hunting spot of 25 years because they turned it into a golf course. :mad:

Scrounger
02-03-2006, 12:26 AM

Dale53

I think you'd have a hard time selling that idea to Tiger Woods, Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, et al...

Frank46
02-03-2006, 03:29 AM
I don't know about golf, I mean whats the enjoyment of whacking a poor defenseless little white ball and all that walking?. But I digress, C.E. Harris has for years articles in the handloaders digest and gun digest. But a few years ago in one of his articles in the CBA newsletter he said that he sold all his mil surps and semi autos and has found shooting some of the lever actions and pistols to be just as rewarding. Speaking of gun digest, the '06 version stinks. Only about eight articles about shooting and the rest is nothing but a glorified catalog. If I wanted a catalog I'd look it up on the 'net. Sorry for the rant. Frank

StarMetal
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I had a Model 14 Smith I was shooting one out in the woods using hollow base wadcutters. Very mild target load ya know. I found a golf ball. So I set it up and shot it. Well whatya know, it sailed off through the woods for quite a distance. I found it and thought I would see a hole in it from the bullet. Nope, just a lead smudge where the bullet hit. Then I shot it again, same thing, sailed off through the woods. Finally I had lost it, but hey, whatya know...maybe a way for us shooters to become golfers. I can see it now....tell the caddy to give me a 44 mag iron. Then for those close up putts tell the caddy to give me a 22 Ruger Auto rimfire. Yeah....maybe this is what those anti-gun politicians need to get into...gun golf.

Joe