PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Day For Lead

Johnw...ski
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
My wife just came home from the dentist and said she had a box of lead for me from the dentist. Apparently everytime they take an X-ray there is some lead foil on the film they expose the x-ray on. So the dentist has everyone in the office pealing off the lead and throwing it into a box with my name on it. I got about 50pounds today, and I would expect that is pure lead.

Funny thing is I never even asked for it, in conversation a few visits back we were talking about shooting for some reason and I mentioned I cast my own boolits.

So, here is another possible source if your dentist isn't too left thinking.

John

Westwindmike
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Great idea. I'm hitting up my dentist on the next visit.

454PB
03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
The stuff I get (my daughter works for a dentist) is not pure lead. It hardness tests at 8+ BHN, and casts well. I suspect it has a small amount of tin alloyed in.

It takes a lot of X-rays to make 50 pounds! I'd guess several hundred per pound.

Dennis Eugene
03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Not me I'm hittin' up my dentist asistant. Dennis P.S. 454PB Your daughter's Denstist is not my dentist

sleeper1428
03-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I'd suggest that you get as much of that lead foil as you can while it's still available. A large number of dentists are switching over to the use of digital imaging which eliminates entirely the use of X-ray film; I know my dentist has made the switch and I don't live in what you'd call a large (> 65K), prosperous city. So as the digital imaging is phased in, the lead supply in X-ray film is going to dry up entirely so, as I said before, get it while you can!

garandsrus
03-06-2009, 01:12 AM
I have been getting dental lead for a year or two now, but it probably doesn't amount to more than 10 lbs. The little foil pieces are TINY!

John

garandsrus
03-06-2009, 01:12 AM
I have been getting dental lead for a year or two now, but it probably doesn't amount to more than 10 lbs. The little foil pieces are TINY!

John