PDA

View Full Version : finding lead

shickf3
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm just starting in casting. I have been trying to get lead with no success. I want ww but all the tire shops I go to say they are reusing them. I even called a scrap place they said they wont sell their lead. and on ebay its going for 1.00 a pound. any suggestions would be great

jnovotny
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
welcome to the forum. Keep an eye on the swapnsellin threads you'll find more than you can cast. And at good prices

oldbob52
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I have been known to mine lead from shooting ranges. If the range is not in use at the time. Sandy back stop soil can be sifted threw a screen to sort out the lead. Use a screen just small enough to catch a 22 slug. Should only do this if no one is shooting at the range . If some one shows up to shoot, go back to putting lead in the bank and do a withdraw another time.

If you do gather lead this way make very sure to let them dry out very good before melting them down. just a very small drop of water inside a jacked bullet can explode when put in a melting furnace.

badgeredd
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
One place that I had overlooked until recently was a big truck garage. I was able to pick up nearly 100# of old wheel weights because I was told they cannot reuse the old ones by law. Perhaps that is a state thing but it is worth a try.

http://www.recycle.net/Metal-N/Lead/index.html?affilid=100000

It is good to know what the price of the scrap wheel weighs is when you go looking. The above link will keep you up to date on the price. I use the "TL" price as a guide.

Good luck on your quest!

Edd

ghh3rd
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey badgeredd, that's a good link. Thanks

xr650
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Keep buckets in your truck at all times. Sounds like you have hit the home sources. Now you need to hit places as you roam from town to town.
Stop at every tire store you see.
Some times you get lucky. Some times you don't.
Pay what you need to get started. Then you can start scrounging for cheaper prices.
Good Luck and enjoy.

Ole
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't get discouraged!

I've asked probably 20 different shops and most say no (17 out of 20) but i've gotten over 400lbs (for $20/bucket or free) from the 3 shops that said yes. When you go out of town on a trip, leave some extra time to stop at all the tire shops you see along the way. (at least stop at all the smaller ones, most of the bigger ones recycle their weights) I stopped at a town about 60 miles NW of where I live and got a heaping bucket for free. It's really hard to beat the feeling you get when you get a big score of WW's like that.

Ole
03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
BTW: That $1/lb isn't a bad price at all considering you can make between 20 and 50 bullets from a pound of lead. (That's only .02/.05 per boolit)

mrbill2
03-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't get discouraged, just keep at it. I just got 351 lbs. today for .10 a pound.
Mr. Bill2