PDA

View Full Version : Using Shot Buffer as Filler

fourarmed
03-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I came into a supply of powdered poly shot buffer, and want to try it as a filler in some loads. The problem is, unlike the Super Grex I've seen in pictures, this stuff is extremely fine grained. That is good if you want it to penetrate the interstices of a charge of shot, but not so good if you want it to hold a small charge of something like 4759 in place without migrating into it.

Anybody used anything like this successfully?

35remington
03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes, I have, as long as you're talking about the fine grained NON spherical type buffer. Mine is a fine powder made by Ballistic Products (or at least distributed by them). It is termed their "Original Shot Buffer."

If you make sure the buffer is compressed (add buffer, tap case gently to settle buffer somewhat, add a little more so you're certain no space can be present) and pre-settled when you add the bullet, I've had no issues using it over a reasonable short term with 4759 and suchlike powders. Some cartridges have gone hunting with me and were carried around in the pocket of a hunting coat for a few weeks, which is a reasonable test but I certainly don't shake like a paint mixer!

There's some "slugging effect" with its use (especially with faster powders) so the softer cast bullets aren't as advisable, especially if the lube grooves are unfilled near the base of the bullet.

I tend to prefer harder cast bullets with the buffer as the buffer is the obturator, with no gas cutting whatsoever being present on plainbase bullets.

fourarmed
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
35 thanks for the information. I think the buffer I have has spherical grains. I considered putting a thin paper disk between the buffer and powder, but who knows what that might do? Also, it would greatly increase the tedium factor of loading. The slugging effect is actually what I am seeking in one case. I have a 44-40 rifle with groove diameter larger than the maximum boolit diameter the chamber will accept.

Harry O
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
My experience is the same as 35remington's. It works better than "Cream-of-Wheat", sawdust, or several other things I have seen recommended and have tried.

It is light and it doesn't stick together like others I have tried. I unloaded some with Cream-of-Wheat one time and the filler was solid packed. I had to pick it out. Not good when it comes to pressure.

I don't bother with a wad, just put the powder in the case (check it visually before adding shot buffer), then fill it up with a big scoop until it pours over the top. Then I seat the bullet. What was in the neck compresses it so that the powder doesn't shift. That is very important. If you don't have compression, the two will mix and you will get delays or hangfires.

35remington
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
FA, if you're looking for the slugging effect as a positive, the softest lead bullets will have a cupped, hollow base when used with buffer as they get literally pounded out of shape, so they're "overslugged." Accuracy isn't so hot as the bullet base slugs unevenly.

ACWW's or hardness in that vicinity is a good place to start and work upward or downward from there as indications from the recovered bullets show. IME anyway.

I cannot say if the spherical buffers are more apt to migrate into the powder - I suppose the round shape might be "slipperier" and possibly could migrate into powder than has a lot of open space, like long stick powders, but I would suppose the size of the buffer granules would also have a bearing on whether the powder and buffer would intermix or not.

All I can say is the buffer I use is very fine in granulation (although admittedly not spherical) and it's worked fine with no velocity variations from mixing I can detect, and never a hangfire or misfire.