PDA

View Full Version : Removing a barrel on an MAS

lunicy
03-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I am having a major problem removing the barrel on a MAS. I know the basics, but this thing is stuck. How hot can I get it before messing it up? Any other tricks.

I am going to rechamber it if I can ever get it off.

leftiye
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
There was a thread recently about a stuck Mauser barrel that just beats this subject to death. Look it up? I would try kroil first. If you heat a tempered part past about 300 degrees, you're in danger of re-tempering it.

lunicy
03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
did a search, do you have a link?

leftiye
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
"Difficult Barrel Removal On a Mauser" by Bruce Drake

lunicy
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
got it, thanks guys.

bruce drake
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
What are you rechambering it too? You can rechamberit while it's still on the action if you use an extension T-Handle and take your time. 7.5 MAS to 308 WIN is actually a pretty simple conversion. I've done it on one of mine and it's a lot nicer chamber than what Century Arms was selling a few years back.

And yeah, those two Yugo Mausers were B*tchs to pop off but now they are a 22-250 and a 260 REM. So you can succeed if you think twice and beat once :)

Bruce

StarMetal
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
What are you rechambering it too? You can rechamberit while it's still on the action if you use an extension T-Handle and take your time. 7.5 MAS to 308 WIN is actually a pretty simple conversion. I've done it on one of mine and it's a lot nicer chamber than what Century Arms was selling a few years back.

And yeah, those two Yugo Mausers were B*tchs to pop off but now they are a 22-250 and a 260 REM. So you can succeed if you think twice and beat once :)

Bruce

Before you confuse the guy to rechamber one of those 7.5 Mas's to 308 you have to set the barrel back first. Why ream it in the rifle while you have the barrel off then? I have one of those Century Arms conversions and it's pretty dang good. Guess I lucked out. There are a few things they done wrong though. One when they set the barrel back they pretty much did away with the bigger shoulder the French had on the barrel. That takes away from the accuracy. Two being the barrel is 9/16 inch shorter, so is the gas tube, combine that with the higher pressure 308 round, it's not easy on the action. Three they went and cut some coils off the recoil spring. That doesn't help the action any either.

Joe

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
My MAS is so accurate I'm gonna 'sleeve it' that is, sleeve it alone! :)

My old grandad always taught me to soak the offending part well (pre WD40/Kroil days) and then tap the piece repeatedly with a hammer/drift/soft blow whatever whilst applying the horsepower.

Four Fingers

brayhaven
07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Only the French (& Remington) would bend a bolt handle AWAY from the shooter :bigsmyl2:
Greg

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Joe,

My MAS rifles were of the 1936 variety. Bolt Action uglies. Only semi-auto firing came out of my cycling the bolt so rechambering would not cause any pain. Rechambering a MAS 54 semi-auto as you describe is a whole different ballgame that I don't intend to toss a ball into.

Bruce

StarMetal
07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Joe,

My MAS rifles were of the 1936 variety. Bolt Action uglies. Only semi-auto firing came out of my cycling the bolt so rechambering would not cause any pain. Rechambering a MAS 54 semi-auto as you describe is a whole different ballgame that I don't intend to toss a ball into.

Bruce

Bruce,

You are most certainly correct on yours being a bolt action, but you still have to set the barrel back about 9/16 inch to rechamber a 7.5 French to 308.

Joe

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
That is true regards to 308 Win. 308x57 is the chambering my MAS's barrels ended up with.

StarMetal
07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
That is true regards to 308 Win. 308x57 is the chambering my MAS's barrels ended up with.

Bruce,

Cool, so is that a 7x57 necked out to 308 then? I know that in the case of the semi auto MAS that would work better out of the magazine because the body shape is more close to the 7.5 French then the 308 Win is.

Joe
P.S. What's the reason for that choice..brass availability? You know you can make the 7.5 French from 6.5 Swede right?

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Joe,

Thats exactly what I did. 7x57 case necked up to 30 cal. And yes, 7.5 MAS brass was tough to get in the 90s. I can use the common x57 length cases for these rifles. RCBS has the die set on the shelf last I knew. Last batch of brass were 8mm Mauser cases that I then trimmed to length and fireformed with a lite load of Unique.

Bruce