PDA

View Full Version : Today's The Day

Rockchucker
03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I've got all my supplies in that's needed to cast some boolits. Molds,bottom pour pot,ww's ect. First I'm gonna clean up some ww's in my cast iron pot so I can try out the new ingot molds that came in, and after cleaning up and putting everything up I'm gonna break out the new Lee 4 20 bottom pour and 6 cavity mold, after I clean it up. As you can tell I'm excited a little so I'll take my time and post some pictures good or bad. Thanks everyone for all your help in this very addictive HOBBIE!
Ron

Shiloh
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I've got all my supplies in that's needed to cast some boolits. Molds,bottom pour pot,ww's ect. First I'm gonna clean up some ww's in my cast iron pot so I can try out the new ingot molds that came in, and after cleaning up and putting everything up I'm gonna break out the new Lee 4 20 bottom pour and 6 cavity mold, after I clean it up. As you can tell I'm excited a little so I'll take my time and post some pictures good or bad. Thanks everyone for all your help in this very addictive HOBBIE!
Ron

Clean the molds REALLY well.

Let us know how it goes.

Shiloh

Rockchucker
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I cleaned them with carb cleaner, then took an old toothbrush and gently brushed them good with tooth paste, then I boiled them on the stove and took em outside where my air compressor is and dried them real good. After they dried out I smoked em up pretty good, Hope I haven't ruined them. I'll post some pictures later this afternoon.
Ron

IcerUSA
03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a very enjoyable day ahead of you , smelting (heed the warnings and wear protective gear) , sounds good on the cleaning part , pre-heat that mould really good as it does help when you start casting ( if you have to wait for the sprue to cool about 3 - 6 sec. you should be at temp ) .

How are you going to lube them boolits ?

Got your start load figured out ?

Got your equipment all clean and ready for the range ?

Got targets ?

I think it's going to be a loooooonnnnnnnggggg time before your done . LOL

I think it will be a life long and very pleasurable task you have chosen to take upon yourself , congrats and welcome to the addiction .

Keith

Rockchucker
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Casting went pretty good, I ended up making 770- 124 grain boolits that were to me great boolits with approx 12 that was definite going back into the pot. I haven't measured or weigh them, I'll get to that soon enough. I'm gonna tumble some later also.

One bad thing did happen though, I broke the darn spruce handle on my lee 6 cavity mold. I thinking I let the lead set to long before it was cut off. I just filled the mold and set it down to add more lead and flux then tried to cut it off and the metal broke right above the handle. Anyway here's a couple pictures of my progress and the ones that have to go back. Sorry about the picture quality.
Ron

Shiloh
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
The sprue cutters are the weak link. Just recieved 3 more from LEE I have a spare now.

Good Looking Boolits!!

How long did id take to stack up your boolit army??

Shiloh

putteral
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Just got my 124 gr tl mold from UPS today. It 's only the 2 cavity type but just cleaned and hopefully tommorrow I will cast a few.
Yours sure look great!
:drinks:

Rockchucker
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Funny you ask, It took longer to inspect the boolits and line them up in 10's that it did to make them. Making them took about 1.5 hours, really wasn't looking at the clock. I just talked with Lee Precision (real nice lady) and a new handle will be shipped out tomorrow. I've got my work cut out for me now that I have 770 new cast boolits to work with. ain't this fun, can't wait to shoot some. Yes I'm hooked so what!
I did use some force when the handle broke, does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks, Ron

xr650
03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you are having fun.
Your boolits are lookin' good.
You answered your own question about the sprue handle. Just cut a little sooner when the alloy isn't quite so hard.

Rockchucker
03-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Just got my 124 gr tl mold from UPS today. It 's only the 2 cavity type but just cleaned and hopefully tommorrow I will cast a few.
Yours sure look great!
:drinks:

I think you'll stay plenty busy with two holes working. Remember to get your mold hot. I don't think mine was at the correct temperature to start with but the hot lead I poured into it sure sped things up to speed.

Firebricker
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Rockchucker, looks like one heck of a good start to me !!! who cares about pic quality when ya got good boolits BTW aint no cure life long addict now.

dirtdobbertwo
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
man they need to get rid of that piece of potmetal connecting the handle to the mold and use a piece of steel. mine broke the first time i used it. they had me send the mold back and they paid shipping both ways. if the replacement breaks im going to turn the handles around and tap it open as i do with a 2 cavity mold.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Hullo Rockchucker, yes good looking boolits for a first go at it, not many rejects, good job, now you have an idea whut this diesease is all aboot...glad you are having fun, that is the best part of our hobby[smilie=1: I'm sure you will be thinking on ways to fix your problems, that is good also.

There is always some trial and error and finding what works for you.:drinks:

:redneck::cbpour::Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

armyrat1970
03-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Funny you ask, It took longer to inspect the boolits and line them up in 10's that it did to make them. Making them took about 1.5 hours, really wasn't looking at the clock. I just talked with Lee Precision (real nice lady) and a new handle will be shipped out tomorrow. I've got my work cut out for me now that I have 770 new cast boolits to work with. ain't this fun, can't wait to shoot some. Yes I'm hooked so what!
I did use some force when the handle broke, does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks, Ron

Pour your bullets. When you see the alloy change in apperance in the sprue, cut the sprue. The problem with a six cavity mould maybe the first bullets you poured will cool quicker in the sprue plate than the last before you cut the sprue. Maybe try working from the other end of the mould to pour first. Just a thought as I have never cast with a six cavity mould. I only use single or double cavity.

warf73
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Nice looking boolits, glad you enjoyed ourself :) next part is really fun shooting them up lol

Dale53
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Pre-heating your mould will pretty much eliminate this problem. When the mould is up to heat, and the alloy up to heat, it'll take few seconds to set the sprue but IT'LL STILL BE HOT AND SOFT. That way, you won't stress the handle when cutting the sprue.

Some here suggest to start out with only filling two cavities and then gradually moving to three, four, five, and six. You will have the mould fully up to temperature before trying to cut all six sprues at once.

I have a hot plate set to pre-heat my moulds just under final temperature. The first couple of casts puts the mould fully up to heat. It is a short learning curve to determine the "correct" temperature, but quickly learned. Do NOT get the mould too hot or various bad things can happen. You'll have to "calibrate" your own hot plate as they vary a good bit on heat output.

Dale53

Rockchucker
03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Pre-heating your mould will pretty much eliminate this problem. When the mould is up to heat, and the alloy up to heat, it'll take few seconds to set the sprue but IT'LL STILL BE HOT AND SOFT. That way, you won't stress the handle when cutting the sprue.

Some here suggest to start out with only filling two cavities and then gradually moving to three, four, five, and six. You will have the mould fully up to temperature before trying to cut all six sprues at once.

I have a hot plate set to pre-heat my moulds just under final temperature. The first couple of casts puts the mould fully up to heat. It is a short learning curve to determine the "correct" temperature, but quickly learned. Do NOT get the mould too hot or various bad things can happen. You'll have to "calibrate" your own hot plate as they vary a good bit on heat output.

Dale53

Very good point here, I never thought of starting out filling only a couple of cavities till it's up to temp. Thanks everyone for all the help I've received. I'm gonna load up a few starting loads and see how all the tell tell signs are doing.