PDA

View Full Version : "Green" bullets

bobk
03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
CNN has a news article, "Should hunters switch to 'green' bullets?" I made a comment, which although not rude, may not make it past CNN's editorial policy. So, I would urge any of you to take the time to read tha article and post an informed viewpoint. Too much of this "science", isn't. Please be polite, though. We are not among friends there.

Bob K

Leadforbrains
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Link?

arcticbreeze
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I think this is it

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/03/04/green.bullets/index.html

zampilot
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
'Lead' is a 'green', naturally occuring substance. Water is un-green if you drink too much of it.

KYCaster
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Seems to me that Phillip Loughlin needs a few wake up calls. Go to the comments at the end of the CNN article and link to his "HogBlog" to see what he has to say about "green ammo". (I think it's his blog, but I couldn't find a name on it anywhere)

Maybe enough comments on his blog might get him to do a little more research so he can come to his own conclusions rather than repeating all the junk from people who have an agenda.

Jerry

Heavy lead
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
CNN has a news article, "Should hunters switch to 'green' bullets?" I made a comment, which although not rude, may not make it past CNN's editorial policy. So, I would urge any of you to take the time to read tha article and post an informed viewpoint. Too much of this "science", isn't. Please be polite, though. We are not among friends there.

Bob K

I respect your view bobk, but the point of being polite is over. I'm more in line with Nugent on these issues, this madness must end and it must end now. If they (the communist pinko's) think we are a little off that is better. They need to stop now and revert if anything, I will not be polite to any of them. They don't deserve it.

KYCaster
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Looks like CNN removed the link to Loughlin's blog. Maybe he doesn't like the comments he's getting.

Jerry

jdowney
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Looks like CNN removed the link to Loughlin's blog. Maybe he doesn't like the comments he's getting.

Jerry

Not that everybody can't find it themselves, but I'll save ya a couple clicks:
http://californiahuntingtoday.com/hogblog/

I've never tried any of them non-lead bullets, my neighbor doesn't like them though, so I doubt I'd try them. Sez they might work ok with high power loads that have enough energy to expand the damn things, but they've always just penciled right through when he's loaded them.

Old Ironsights
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Not that everybody can't find it themselves, but I'll save ya a couple clicks:
http://californiahuntingtoday.com/hogblog/

I've never tried any of them non-lead bullets, my neighbor doesn't like them though, so I doubt I'd try them. Sez they might work ok with high power loads that have enough energy to expand the damn things, but they've always just penciled right through when he's loaded them.

OK.. first off, I think the whole "lead bullets is bad" crap is just that.

That said, give me a Davenport and some Copper/Brass roundstock and I won't care about expansion. My 358180RF loads don't expand anyway.

testhop
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
would a green magic marker work
just color the boolits
if that would make them happy lol

Leadforbrains
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I posted these 2 comments :
steve Says:

I read the article on lead ammo on the Cnn website, and came over here to post a comment.
I have been hunting and eating wild game since I was old enough to walk. I remember picking lead shot out of the doves and duck at the dinner table. I also remember finding Lead buckshot in venison at the dinner table also. I and all the members of my family are still doing fine.
I can’t help but think that this is some kind of ploy by the enviormentalists to raise another alarm over a non issue that is similar to global warming. They will legislate our ability to hunt and own firearms out of existience by mere increments. Instead of going along to get along we should fight all encroachments on our legal God given rights.
If you make ammunition to expensive people will not be able to afford to practice with their rifles. They won’t be able to shoot well to make a good kill. The majority of all copper bullets are very cost prohibitive. I also believe that Lead kills better on thin skinned medium sized game.
Respectfully,
Steve

March 5th, 2009 at 10:09 am
steveb Says:

I see you have another Steve here. Just so as there is no confusion I will refer to myself as steveb. I did post the above comments in the previous post. I am originally from South Carolina and I will also like to say that I will openly oppose any restrictions on firearms and ammunition in my State and across our nation. It appears to me by its stringent gun laws that California is already on the road to abolishing its freedoms by one compromise at a time.

March 5th, 2009 at 10:35 am

I think if the majority of our members would leave comments it would help to get our point across that compromising on this issue is not goin to do anyone any good.

http://californiahuntingtoday.com/hogblog/2009/03/04/lead-ban-chronicles-hogblog-in-the-news/#comments

Kuato
03-05-2009, 04:53 PM
The color of my boolit lube is green, And thats green enuff for me..

"Loughlin, who switched to green ammo and blogs on the issue, said that lead shouldn't be banned from hunting but that hunters and the public should be more aware of lead's potential to cause harm."

Yeah especially when the lead is going 1400fps out of my 44 Mag..

JSnover
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Please be polite, though. We are not among friends there.

Bob K

Always a good idea to be polite. Your facts and logic will be heard more clearly if they're not wrapped in anger, sarcasm, insults, etc. At least give them the chance to hear you out before they prove to be idiots. After that all bets are off.

Leadforbrains
03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
The color of my boolit lube is green, And thats green enuff for me..

"Loughlin, who switched to green ammo and blogs on the issue, said that lead shouldn't be banned from hunting but that hunters and the public should be more aware of lead's potential to cause harm."

Yeah especially when the lead is going 1400fps out of my 44 Mag..

I stopped by a chain tire store to ask about wheel weights and the guy behind the counter said he couldn't sell them to me because they were hazardous material.
I put a .45 hollowpoint on the counter and replied "Yep they're hazardous material allright. Especially when you turn them into boolits." I could tell by the funny look on his face that he was not nearly as amused as I was.:mrgreen::castmine:

JSnover
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm trying as hard as I can to put that nasty old lead back in the ground where it came from....!

bobk
03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, my comment didn't make it, and I didn't see anyone else's name there, either. Sorry I was apparently a bit late posting this. I read all your comments. I understand the viewpoints, even those that appear to contradict each other. I don't know what is the best tactic to counteract this incremental stupidity that is so prevalent today.

Thanks,
Bob K

oleguy74
03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
well calif.went to copper only in the areas that have the condor.only thing is there are no nesting condors there.the sierra club got that through.we bagged two nice deer this year with barnes copper in 243 win.calif is now trying to get the whole state lead free.

oleguy74
03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
bye the way this was done on reports that two condors died from lead poison.funny thing they won't publish the report.

Leadforbrains
03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Bob I couldn't leave any comments on the Cnn site either, but I left comments on the blog that was linked to the story.
It is worrisome that the enviornmentalists are using unsubstantiated junk science to further their agenda, but it is no suprise. The big suprise is that some fellow hunters and shooters are willing to cave into this. I am not singling Philip out, but there are alot of comments posted that are reafirming this.

Iam going to be aggressively stockpiling lead and more casting equipment. I have already made up my mind to be noncomplient on this issue.

Mohillbilly
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Gee I'm "green" with my ammo , I melt my scrap and make boolits. Heck a few mi.south of here is where most of our lead comes from(Doe run) And its been comming from around here since before the Civil War!!!

HORNET
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I had some Green Bullets, but a couple of hours in the tumbler had them looking like Sierra MatchKings are supposed to look again. I don't shoot much of that jacketed stuff.[smilie=1::roll: