PDA

View Full Version : Is James Calhoun still making ....

Blackwater
02-02-2006, 01:24 AM
.... those centerfire conversions for the Rem. 580 series rimfire actions? Just tried to google up his website, and it won't bring it up. Anyone have a link?

I have an old 580 action with a stock that's been boogered a bit, and that crappy factory barrel, and I want to play with it and see what I can maybe make it do.

Also, saw in Gary Olen's Sportsman's Guide an Anschutz .22 mag. barrel that was 20" long IIRC, and thought maybe I just ought to make it a WRM? Anyone know anything about those Anschutz barrels? It'd be really nice to make a .22 Squirrel, I think, and there's not a thing wrong with a std. Hornet, too, and that neat little action would make an especially sweet and light little rifle to tote around.

Any info on these things out there?

Bullshop Junior
02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
If you are talking about the 5mm, I have not heard that Mr. Calhoun is making them, but Schroeder is making the kits, and brass. I know, because we bought one one assembled it for a customer. It was very simple. Order, a little bit of hand fitting, and it is a new gun. :grin:

Schroeder Bullets
1421 Thermal Ave
San Diego, CA 92154
619-423-3523
619-423-8124

:brokenima
DANIEL/BS JR

Bret4207
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.certech.net/5_intro.htm

Try that link- it's not Calhoon that was doing it. It's Craig.

swheeler
02-04-2006, 01:12 PM
BW; jamescalhoon.com
Scooter

Blackwater
02-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks, guys. The Calhoun rigs were pricey, and I just like the idea of a neat little centerfire on that action. Can't make up my mind which way to go yet, though. Looks like there've been some new developments since last I perused this subject. Thanks for the replys.

fiberoptik
02-11-2006, 05:37 AM
http://www.5mmcraig.com/
They handle the centerfire mods, sell the stuff to reload, etc.
I'm looking at getting one myself.

fiberoptik
02-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I noticed on his site he has a document for sale on modifying them. It was $16 including shipping.

Blackwater
02-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys. Got it. Anyone by any chance know if they'll open the bolt face for a Hornet case? I'm tinkering with the idea of a .22 or .25 Squirrel, on the shortened Hornet case. The shorter case ought to work even better witht he lighter loads (WRF level) that I'm thinking of. A .25 could be really interesting, couldn't it, for a small game round. Mostly just a toy, actually, but whoever said toys were "bad?"

HORNET
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Blackwater,
If you want something really cute and don't really feel like spending your time shortening Hornet brass, have you seen that 5.7 x 28 FN pistola case? Makes me want an itty-bitty Mauser. [smilie=b:

Blackwater
02-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Hornet, I'd never thought of that one! Thanks! Not sure how long brass will be available, though. The Hornet stole my heart long ago, and have had several throug time, so that's probably what I'll do anyway, but .... well, you've got me thinking now. Just shows to go ya' why we hang around here and post like we do. Someone's ALWAYS going to come up with something we haven't thought of. I think I'll do a search on that lil' pistol caliber.

Four Fingers of Death
03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
I think the Hornet case for all its faults will be around longer than we will.

fiberoptik
05-04-2006, 01:06 AM
P.S. Calhoon has a lot of left over .22 barrels after redoing to .19, and I'm pretty sure his prices could beat out most. He lists them on his site.

Blackwater
05-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks again, guys, and Hornet, we got a 5.7 in the shop and I stole one of the rounds from my buddy, Honest John, and .... danged if I ain't thinkin' HARD now! Small enough to use cast with in mild loads, and hot enough to stretch a bit for coyotes or whatever. Dang! The caliber decision IS the hardest part, ain't it?

fiberoptik
05-13-2006, 12:51 AM
James Calhoon also made up another round for the .19 with the .30 carbine case. If'n I remembers right, it was faster than the one using the hornet case.