PDA

View Full Version : Pure Lanolin grease

ihmsakiwi
03-05-2009, 04:25 AM
I have come by a reasonable quantity of pure lanolin grease which I hope I can use in my next lube creation. (smells like my days of "rousing" in the shearing sheds during my school holidays).
I make my version of FWFL but as the lanolin I have been using is not anhydrous it always; a) turns out a dirty brown due to the solvent carrier and b) catches fire during the stirring process due to the flash point of the carrier. Dam hard to extinguish solvent and wax fires...........learning by doing!!
This is pure lonolin, smells like s#*t. What sort of concentration should I use in the classic FWFL? Should I substitute spoon for spoon versus the anhydrous? Peter.

lead Foot
03-05-2009, 05:47 AM
I was given a lot by a fisherman friend but in liquid form I used it for fluxing with great results until the dog knocked the jar over. The only lanolin I could fined was grease and as a flux it was just as good. How ever I did think of using it as a lube. The results were not so good it's melting point is to low I could'nt get any accuracy.
lead Foot
:drinks:

44man
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I buy my anhydrous lanolin by the pound from Majestic Mountain Sage or From Nature With Love, on the net. I think the last pound I bought was $8.
Here is what I use for my revolver lube;
2 tbs mineral oil, 1 tbs castor oil, 1 tbs Ivory soap, 1 tbs lanolin and 8 oz of beeswax.
Sometimes I put in a tsp of carnauba flakes, from the same companies.

Ron
03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
ihmsakiwi have a talk to your local vet. He may be able to get you animal grade anhydrous lanolin and castor oil, they use it for treating their patients. My vet got some for me and I saved heaps against buying it through the chemist or online.

3rptr
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I found a horsey product at the local Feed & Pet supply store.

Made by Corona, labeled as Ointment,

7oz tube for $9 or 14oz can for $14.

Contents read 50% lanolin, yellow beeswax, and a few other things.

I have not tried it.

wills
03-05-2009, 10:21 PM
A friend told me he found lanolin at Wal*Mart, said it is sold as a nipple medicine for nursing women.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/46/77/10/0004467710201_500X500.jpg

357maximum
03-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Briggs and Stratton ..yep the lawnmower maker...is marketing a lanoling greas product line now...I have not had a chance to check it out though. There is a tub form and a spray with a solvent added. Both sound useable (lube ingredient and case sizing lube...maybe. I will see soon..I have a briggs dealer down the road from me.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=99191

runfiverun
03-06-2009, 02:01 AM
i add the lanolin at the last.
when everything has settled down a bit, but is still warm, then stir it in and let everything cool off the rest of the way.

cajun shooter
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
ihmsakiwi, Being you are in New Zealand, the land of many sheep which I don't think any of my fellow forum members noticed. The lanolin you have is the best and you don't need a Wal-Mart or anyplace else to buy it as you have the pure stuff. The anhydrous means without water and that's what you have. Pure lanolin from sheep's wool should be a brown -gold color and it does have a unique smell. I use lanolin in the making of all my lubes as it does a nice job of treating the bore and keeping the BP fouling soft shot to shot. If I mix say one pound of beeswax and one pound of another ingredient I add about 4-5 oz of lanolin. A little lanolin goes a long way and does not need to be on equal parts when measuring. I hope this helped some and I only wish I had your supply line of Lanolin. Later David

lead Foot
03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
This looks the same as we have here. The pray is good as a rust preventative and anti seize, penetrates like WD40. It will say on the jar not to use as a bearing grease (low melt temp) good as a dry lube. I use a little dab on my sprue plate when casting.Like Cajun shooter said as a lube mix I would use a small amount but I had no luck with it.
lead Foot;
:drinks:

herb101
03-06-2009, 11:12 PM
one of the byproduct of bio-diesal is lanolin , you can make it yourself.

waksupi
03-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Herb, I believe it is actually a by-product of Texas sporting houses!

Boerrancher
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I found a horsey product at the local Feed & Pet supply store.

Made by Corona, labeled as Ointment,

7oz tube for $9 or 14oz can for $14.

Contents read 50% lanolin, yellow beeswax, and a few other things.

I have not tried it.

3rptr,

If you could post a photo or the companies web address, that would be great. This sounds like the exact stuff I need for my Boolit lube for black powder.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe