PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what I got.

Andrew Quigley
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Had some folks give me two large sheets of whats supposed to be pure lead. I'm talking 4x8x1" thick. The reason they gave it to me is the plates are warped due to heat. It's is very maulable but some small chunks they were broken off have me wondering.
The chunks had been heated and the edges are crumbly. Kinda looks like real fine gravel. Will lead do this or is it really babbit or something else? Thanks for any help.

mikenbarb
03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Lead will do that if its heated or work hardned. You can send me a sheet and I will let you know what it is.LOL.[smilie=1:

Andrew Quigley
03-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks. Never seen it heated other than in the pot. I figure when my friends find out they'll all come running wanting some.

montana_charlie
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Lead in sheet form is usually rolled...not cast...to get that shape. Therefore, it is 'work softened'. That might even make for the grainy inside texture.
Once melted and cast into a different shape, it will likely be harder than the original sheet...and that means it probably contains antimony.
CM

Springfield
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Ya never really know until you cast it into bullets and test it. I bought some very soft lead tubing that was supossedly pure lead but when cast into ingots it "rang" a bit when dropped. And the bullets tested at 7 on my tester, not the 5 of pure lead. Made some nice BP bullets though.