PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dippers Old VS New

jh45gun
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Nevermind I did not look down far enough I see some one already asked and it gave the info I am looking for. Then I see a conversion chart does not mean much so I guess using a dipper for each powder and weighing the dipper charge is the only way to get a idea what dipper to use.

Bret4207
03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Not sure what the question was, but my Lee dippers work fine.

jh45gun
03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh I am not saying they do not work fine its just that I have a set of the old black ones and of course the chart does not mean much as there are so many new powders out there then when the chart was printed in the 60's. So now I wondered if there was a chart to correspond to the newer dippers and dipper info. I guess the best way is to take a dipper full of powder and just weigh it.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
If I was somewhere without a scale and had to make some loads it would be ok. I like a perfect exact powder charge and you cant get it with the measures or at least I cant.

wonderwolf
03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
The moving parts on mine broke :( [smilie=1:

Seriously though I've used mine a lot and like them, For charges I don't have a measure for I trim some 40 S&W brass or whatever is handy until its the right volume. I don't do that often though cuz it can be a pain.

Bret4207
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
The whole secret to the scoop method is to dip from a large container and strike the excess with a card or something. You have to do it as close to the same every time as you can. On a 35.0 gr load I can come within a half grain usually. On smaller dippers like 1.5-3.0 gr it's a smaller percentage. Consistency is the key and the dippers and a scale were all I had for a long time.

JSnover
03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
If I was somewhere without a scale and had to make some loads it would be ok. I like a perfect exact powder charge and you cant get it with the measures or at least I cant.

You can if you're not in a big hurry. Choose the dipper that comes closest to your load without going over. Pour it into the pan on your scale. Use a trickler to finish the job. I have two powder measures gathering dust because I got tired of bridging and cutting powders. I'm not a high volume reloader so this method suits me just fine.

mooman76
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM

You're not going to get perfecty right on every time with any powder thrower. I tried weighting my charges in advance with the Lee dippers and still didn't get the same next time I went to use them. I got closer than the Lee chart but I think there are tiny differences from one time to another like humidity and such that will throw you off a thousands or so. I think Lee's are a little farther off so those that don't use a scale they will be a little light rather than a little heavy.