PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Noob

Prairie Wolf
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I am new to this forum. I will hopefully be new to casting bullets soon.

I thought I'd stop in and say hello. This seems like a place full of resourceful people. Very interesting stuff, even glueletts.

I am wanting to start casting to save money. Just started a family so the wife quit working and now money is tighter.

Anyhow, I plan to start by scrounging wheel weights to build a supply and keeping an eye out for a melting pot.

I shoot .44 mag, and .45 acp. May also cast for .30-06.

See you around.

docone31
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Welcome aboard.
Lots of us have those calibers.
Main recquirement.
Ask lots of questions!
We are looking forward to watching you grow.

jforwel
03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the forum, and collecting the metal is the way to start. It took me over a year to start casting after I had begun collecting the wheel weights and scrap lead. But now that I am casting my supply so far is over 500 lbs.

You will catch the disease soon and there's no stopping. :drinks:

mooman76
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Big welcome aboard!

snaggdit
03-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Welcome Prairie Wolf! If you want a place to ask questions and learn as you read posts, you found the right place. Many will chime in and tell you that you won't really save money, just shoot more. That might be true. I think it does save money, if you can keep yourself from spending more every week on addl. molds, dies, guns, brass,...

If you have a thrift store nearby, check it for a melting pot. I originally got an old cast aluminum pressure cooker for $2. Thought it would be fine. Worked for me until others screamed at me that it was unsafe! Went back and found an enameled steel stock pot for $2. Works great. Also found a muffin tin (steel with non stick and no cup joints) deep fry strainer to remove clips from WW and a stainless steel stir spoon. SWMBO hates when you borrow stuff from the utensil drawer... I believe that a bottom pour pot is worth the expense (~$50) when starting out. Lee molds have worked fine for me, and I now have 8. Never tried an iron mold, so can't say if they are better or not.

I recommend trying the pistol boolits first. 30-06 will take some extra work and cost. You will need gas checks and a sizer to seat them. You will probably want to water drop them to get WW harder due to the velocity involved. Cut your teeth on pistols then move up to rifle boolits. Thats my suggestion.

Remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked. Welcome to the "family".

e15cap
03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Noob, I have a small Lee bottom pour pot you can have for the cost to ship it, if you want it.
Best, Roger e15cap@aol.com

R.C. Hatter
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the forum ! There is always room for one more. You'll find a bunch of nice folks here who can answer a lot of questions for you and keep you from the pitfalls. Also, most folks here will be willing to help you any way they can. There are many years of experience here to guide you.

Kawfeegod
03-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Welcome aboard. You will find lots of great info here. Read Read Read and have fun.

defib
03-05-2009, 04:31 AM
E15cap if prairie wolf doesnt take you up on your offer I will gladly.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
:redneck::cbpour::Fire:Welcome P Wolf, I hope you enjoy the site and the people/ information, got questions? Just post them , you will most likely get the answers you need to get started and enjoy your new casting habit , Regards, S.L.
[smilie=1:

bbs70
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Welcome Prairie Wolf.
Like everyone else here I like to keep the cost down on casting equiptment.
If you're looking for a way to smelt your scrap down, a turkey fryer works great.

I found mine at a local scrap yard for $5, of course I had to buy a new regulator and tank, but it is cheaper than buying a new fryer.
My wife found a heavy dutch oven for $10.
I have used muffin pans for ingot molds, $6.
Dollar stores are great for finding slotted spoons and other utensils you'll probably want for smelting and casting lead.
Bill

klcarroll
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome Prairie Wolf.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger!! ....There are a lot of "noobs" here, and they are always made to feel welcome! (I KNOW this to be true, ...because I'm getting back into casting after a twenty year "absence", …and this makes me an absolute “noob” by today’s standards!)

I have found everyone here that I have dealt with, or bought stuff from to be real, “stand-up guys”!! You are among friends here!!

BTW: ….The suggestions regarding “turkey fryers” are right-on if you are looking for “bang-for-the-buck”! If you want to take the next step, and do away with the need for propane tanks and regulators; ….all you have to do is drill out the main jet on the burner, and you can use regular residential natural gas. ….A #55 drill should get you close: ….Just make sure you don’t see too many yellow flames! (Carbon Monoxide). If you do mess up, and drill too large; ….No worries! ……..Just solder up the hole and try a smaller drill!

Kent

Prairie Wolf
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

e15cap, I will take the pot. I sent you and email I think. (sorry defib)

defib
03-05-2009, 06:16 PM
no problem im still gathering equipment to start.