PDA

View Full Version : Doing two at the same time......

jforwel
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I tried to run two moulds today at the same time. They were both Lee aluminum moulds but one was .32 and the other was .41. I had a hard time getting them up to temp. Is it because they were different calibers or is it harder to do two aluminum as compared to two iron moulds?

Running each by itself was no problem and I was taking my time since they stayed hot and cast well.

mpmarty
03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I do it all the time. Ya gotta cast twice as fast to keep them working hot enough. It's easier in the summer time.

454PB
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Try preheating both moulds. Once they are up to temperature, you'll get into the rythym.

Willbird
03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
It will be a lot easier when it is 90+ degrees in the shade :-)

Bill

BruceB
03-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Two moulds at a time is too danged slow.

Go to "Homepage" in the toolbar at the top of each page. Under "Menu" on the left side is "Members' Articles". Read my article on speedcasting, and see what you think.

400+ bullets per hour from a SINGLE two-cavity mould is easily achieved. 600 in the same time is a bit of a stretch, but I've done it. About 500 per hour is close to average for me.

Keep an open mind....some pooh-pooh my method, but those who've seen it work know better.

44man
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I do two all the time, it is easy. I pour one, let the sprue just set and put the mold on a board while I pour the other. Cut the first sprue, dump and fill again.
Both molds need pre-heated. Takes about as much time as one mold, waiting for the sprue to harden.
Got carried away one time and used three molds but speed is needed, too hectic. [smilie=l:

jforwel
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try the next time. I don't think I gave both moulds a good enough preheat when I started.

Bruce I'll check out your article.

jforwel
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Bruce, good article. But I only have four casting sessions under my belt so far. I am trying new techniques one at a time, but have not tried the sprue cooling method yet. I notice however, that I have to slow down a bit when using one mould because it does start to get too hot.

Starting out with the Lyman casting kit limits me to the 8lb mini-mag pot. I found out the first time I cast that I had to put the flawed/first boolits back in the pot since by the time the mould was up to temp my pot was almost half empty. Now I also put every sprue I cut back in immediatetly while casting. It was a bit of a pain to get the mould up to temp, cast 100 boolits, and then have to stop to refill the pot. And yes I am using a dipper. Casting the .32 boolits the other day was nice compared to the .41s and .44s since I could cast soooo many more before refilling the pot.

Maybe next year Santa will bring me a 20lb bottom pour pot.