PDA

View Full Version : What's a deal now?

03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I know most everything in the shooting sports industry has gone completely silly, but there have got to be some good deals out there. What have you found?

It looks like Savage 99s have come down a bit -- plus there seem to be more 250-3000s available.

Also, maybe Mini-14s have been left behind by the assault rifle craziness? I didn't really keep up with them before, but they seem to have lagged a bit behind black rifles and M1As.

Primers, well, good luck -- but everyone has shotgun primers, prices are still up, but at least they're in stock.

The base metals markets have plummeted, but bullet prices don't seem to have dropped, supply and demand I guess. Probably won't for a while.

Most of all I think its best to save your money -- the industry has got to catch up. If the economy's as bad as they say, people can't buy at this rate forever and may even have to resell once they get the credit card bill for it all. I have noticed more gun related ads on my local online classifieds, though some are still high. Argentine Mauser for $350, AK-47 for $750. On the other hand, Model 94 for $200.

What are your thoughts and what do you see in your area?

Ricochet
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I figure lots of the stuff sold in the current buying craze will hit the secondary market at fire sale rates before long.

ktw
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Lots of bargains in stocks and mutual funds lately. Gasoline half the price of what it was not that long ago. I hear there are great deals on foreclosed homes in some markets. Bluebook on used, full sized pickup trucks has dropped like a rock over what they were worth two years ago.

-ktw

03-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Agreed -- through the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), a savings plan for governmental employees, I've been able to put about an extra $1000/mo into the market -- best part is since I'm deployed, it is tax exempt. That is, I don't pay tax on the contribution (ever) and am taxed on the earnings when I withdraw (at the capital gains rate, I believe). Share prices are 2/3 to 1/2 of what they were last July.

That money is going towards setting up the farm/ranch/compound/workshop/range when I retire.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2009, 05:02 AM
no real deals in guns. Optics have held there own so they may be a good buy as im sure that industry will jack up prices soon too. Best bet is to probably buy a big gas tank and fill it. Lots of layoffs in the country and its actually a buyers market for most things if you have cash. firearms are the exception but even the ar craze is wainng. I think most who wanted them allready bought or ordered them. I picked up a new dpms sportical for a plinking gun about a month ago for 700 bucks and that was retail a month before that they were asking a grand for them. Lead is down again and its a good time to stock up if you buy it. Reloading supplys are sky high and will probably remain there.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Hullo 0802, Not much in the way of gun prices , still high, ammo & reloading componets >SKY HIGH
The only Deals to be had in AK are on 4x4 large trucks/SUV's, seem to be lots of them for sale cheaper than a year ago, the +$4-5 fuel seems to have pushed the prices down a bit, even though gas is about $2.37 a gal. at this time, we don't look for that to last. if you are in the remote areas it's still $4-6 a gal.

good topic to see what is going on in different parts of the country.

Firebricker
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
The only bargain up here is a 25lb bag of shot was 22.95 today last summer it was 39.95. Of course they only had a few bags of #9. I agree abought saving and waiting but I also thought generaters were going to pop up like daisys after Y2K never happened were I was. I could'nt make a financial trend perdiction even If I had Allen Greenspan and D. Trump locked in the basement

The Double D
03-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Martini prices remain unchanged. The counterfiets are still being offered at ridulously higher than real prices and not selling. People still don't believe and continue to be offended when told their gun bought in a bazaar in Kabul is counterfiet. I don't bother to tell them anymore.

The real guns in half the condition of the outstanding IMA guns are also at ridiculously high prices because they are "not recent imports" and not sellling.

IMA prices are unchanged and the place to invest you money if you have a need for a Martini. Some fabulous guns coming out of that cache.

577/450 Brass and ammo is still high, but dies are starting to show up used every now and then at around $50.