PDA

View Full Version : need a definition of leading

mdgyro
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I need to know what you guys consider leading in a barrel. I think what I think is leading in my barrel may infact not be. When I shoot 25 or so rounds then dissamble the unloaded pistol (45acp) I see some streaks in the barrel not really a build up but there is something there. I have done everything that I have found here to eliminate leading and still this condition exist. I am thinking that this may be normal and I am fighting a battle that is not there.So let me know what you consider leading to be.

leftiye
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
You may be exeriencing what is called a "grey wash." This is not true leading. In fact, some shooters here feel that best accuracy comes with this condition. I always thought that it was leading before I joined here. I think it usually occurs with hot loads just before leading starts. True leading ranges from flecks or flakes of lead to stringers of lead to plating the bore knee deep.

454PB
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
My definition is this:

If I push a solvent soaked, tight fitting patch through the barrel and there is any lead particles on it, I have leading.

mdgyro
03-04-2009, 06:52 PM
grey wash sounds like what I have I will do more reaserch on it to see

mooman76
03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
By my definition you have leading. Lead in the barrel and it doesn't belong there. It might be a small amount and if lucky it won't get worse than that. I really wouldn't worry about it if that is all it is though, lifes to short. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

monadnock#5
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I like leftiye's comments. A grey wash that doesn't get any worse is no problem. Flecks and flakes though, will progress to stringers of lead. At that point you have figure out what the problem is and fix it, because the next stop is knee deep.

runfiverun
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
go ahead and weigh that bbl with the antimonial wash in it.
now go shoot it and then weigh it again if it is noticeably heavier it has lead in it.
if it is like a grain or two heavier you need to re-set your scale.