PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Holster

wildwes
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Ok this isn't exactly a cast bullet question, but maybe somebody could help me anyway. My grandaddy recently gave me his M1911A1, and I was in the building sizing some bullets tonight and ran across his issue shoulder holster that he brought home when he was discharged from the Air Force in 1953. It's been hanging in the building on a nail since long before I was born, so it is a little cracked and dry, to say the least. It isn't torn though, just stiff as a board. I'd really like to soften it up some so that I can use it to a limited extent, for sentimental reasons, but I'm not interested in cleaning it. So I was wondering what y'alls ideas would be for the best way to accomplish this? Any and all information is appreciated,
Thanks folks

Heavy lead
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
neetsfoot oil gets my vote, always condition my leather with it.

wildwes
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I thought it might be good, but I wasn't really sure. I had thought about saddle soap too, but I really wasn't sure. I know that nothing will fix the cracks, I just want it to be usable, and to be protected. How would you apply it, just rub it in real good on all the surfaces? Thanks again.

j20owner
03-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I was going to say Neetsfoot oil, too. We use it on our saddles.

Tn_River_Ratt
03-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Neetsfoot oil and a small piece of sponge. Wet it down real good and use a hair dryer on low to speed up the process a little. Thats the way we do boots, saddles, and various other leather goods.

Ratt

mtgrs737
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I have used Neatsfoot oil, baseball glove oil, Mink oil, bear grease, army suplus leather impregnative, and many others but the Neatsfoot oil is cheap and available at Farm/Ranch stores in my area.

August
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
bix !!!

wildwes
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks everybody, I know that all the hardware stores around here keep neatsfoot oil, and I reckon souther states and tractor supply have it too.

monadnock#5
03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Be careful with whatever you use. One coat of neatsfoot oil will soak in so fast that in 10 minutes you won't be able to tell that you put any on to begin with. So you put on a second coat...then maybe a third....don't do it. If you saturate the leather, it won't ever dry out. It's the use and handling of leather that gives it suppleness. Oiling it and then hanging it on the nail again will keep it from dry rotting, but sure won't give it that well used and well loved appearance.

wildwes
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I just want to be careful whatever I do, other than being hard as a brick and having a few small cracks on the end of the shoulder strap, it looks great.

Morgan Astorbilt
03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Make sure you use Fabinger's Pure Neetsfoot Oil (The thick smelly stuff), not their neetsfoot oil compound, which is mostly mineral spirits.
Morgan

wildwes
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I bought a bottle of neatsfoot oil at the leather store in one of the towns near the house, and it was Fabinger's Pure Neetsfoot Oil, I guess I made a good choice :) It was what the owner recommended when I showed him the holster, said that was what he used on his boots and saddles. Thanks folks.