PDA

View Full Version : Button on 38 wadcutters

jt1
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
What does the button on some 38 wadcutters accomplish? Most have this feature, although the actual shape varies a little. Only a few, like the Lyman 358063, don't have anything.

Does it help the aero of the boolit, make it more accurate, make it possible to index, or something else?

John

mooman76
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
So you know which end is forward! Don't really know but to keep it more aero dynamc is as good an answer as any would be my guess.

Hurricane
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
If you are asking about the big hollow in the bottom, it is designed to spread against the barrel as a gas seal. The wadcutter bullets with this feature should be cast very soft so that it can spread.

Hurricane
03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Sorry, you said button not bottom. It may be aero dynamic or it may just be a decoration.

docone31
03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Fire the hollow first, and watch it expand!

HeavyMetal
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
The button exist's to help the boolit cut a clean hole for easier scoreing on a match target.

To easy to drop a point if the ragged hole ( and a piece of the target) won't show if you broke the line to the next scoreing ring!

The 358063 is the only exception and is designed as a "double ended" wadcutter so it doesn't matter which way it's loaded. Good for the guys with model 52 smith's but doesn't cut quite as clean a hole as the 35887 which has the button.

Shiloh
03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
What does the button on some 38 wadcutters accomplish? Most have this feature, although the actual shape varies a little. Only a few, like the Lyman 358063, don't have anything.

Does it help the aero of the boolit, make it more accurate, make it possible to index, or something else?

John

Tried some Lyman 35891 set in backwards. Didn't notice any difference in accuracy or bullet hole. I should try again using some of our light card stock targets rather than paper targets. After reading the posts, it makes sense that the button end would cut a cleaner hole.

Shiloh

Echo
03-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I think mainly because it looks cute. And one doesn't have to cut the line, just touch it...

MT Gianni
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
E H Harrison in Cast Bullets says it has an important aerodynamic function much the same as a SWC. It has a lesser effect but he claims a greater accuracy the the reversible WC. I can't shoot well enough to realize it.

Bret4207
03-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't see how the button would make it cut a cleaner hole. That goes against logic.

jt1
03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
You can tell a wadcutter with a very square front shoulder, like the 429348, cuts a cleaner hole than a wc with a bevel on the front, like the 358063. I've never made a close comparison between flat wc holes and a button wc hole.

It seems reasonable that both the button and the bevel could affect the aero, but I'm not sure how. Neither my skills or equipment would allow a proper accuracy evaluation.

I've always thought the flat ones looked the "coolest". How's that for a scientific evaluation?

John

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't see how the button would make it cut a cleaner hole. That goes against logic.

It is the shoulder of the bullet. In this case, the shoulder is at a 90 degree angle and will cut a nice clean hole. In my humble opinion, the button has nothing to do with the clean cutting hole....aerodynamics, MAYBE....but I cannot see how it helps cut a clean hole.

Willbird
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
If the button actually sticks up (not a flush thing like some swaged ones have) it would be a big help in collating the bullets with bases all downwards. Industry uses a vibratory bowl feeder to do this, and they will not stand up straight on the button end, they would fall off and only the ones base down would progress up the spiral ramp in the feeder.

The button would also allow the seating stem in a bullet seater die guide the bullet better than just a flat end.

Bill

Ricochet
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
The button would also allow the seating stem in a bullet seater die guide the bullet better than just a flat end.
I'd say that's the best reason.

mooman76
03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I still say it's so you know which end goes forward!:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh
03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I still say it's so you know which end goes forward!:bigsmyl2:

Sure Mooman!!
Kind of like writing T.G.I.F. on your shoes. Toes Go In First:bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
03-05-2009, 07:57 AM
It is the shoulder of the bullet. In this case, the shoulder is at a 90 degree angle and will cut a nice clean hole. In my humble opinion, the button has nothing to do with the clean cutting hole....aerodynamics, MAYBE....but I cannot see how it helps cut a clean hole.

That's my line of thinking. The button would serve no purpose in cutting a clean hole and might even give a rip under some circumstances. It's that square shoulder does the work.

My bet is on looks or a way to tell front from back.

David R
03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I have tried them both ways. Button in first (backwards) seems to shoot better until I increase the powder charge. Then they both shoot the same if loaded with the shoulder flush.

Button in first (backwards) also cuts a better hole for me.

Try it and let us know how it works for you.

I have pics if you want to see them.

David :)