PDA

View Full Version : Spent Primer Trick

beanflip
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Found this in cyber space its a neat trick so I put the straw in both of my rcbs rockchuckers and I wish I had done years ago!

Try it ... It works for me

I have a older rockchucker an it bounces primers all over the place. But I found a way to control them. Go to one of the local fast food place and get a soda straw, one of the large diameter like they use in shakes. cut a piece that will reach from the bottom of the shell holder to 1/4 inch above the bottom of the slot. On the bottom of the cut straw cut at a 45 degree angle or about that. press into the slot of the ram with the point of the straw to the outside. This will keep those primers going all the way down the slot and let the primer catcher tray get most of them. I f you have any trouble with them going out over the front you can put a small wall on the front edge of the catcher to stop them. the average straw around here will do for 2 presses. It's not perfect but it is so much better that you will hit yourself on the forehead and why didn't I think of that it is so simple, well RCBS didn't think of it either.

dromia
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I just jammed a piece of square section dowel in the priming groove of mine flush with the outside of the ram, Its been in there for nigh on 18 years and works champion also and a tad more robust.

No more wayward primers is great. :-D

klausg
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Pretty durn neat; I'll have to try it

StarMetal
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
And here I thought you were going to say that you can shoot small pistol/rifle primers out of .177 BB guns. Hey good ideas, those RCBS's sure do spit primers all over the place.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
That's a great trick for the Rockchucker. I don't have an RC, but my Reloader Special had about a .500 fielding percentage until I taped a piece of thin cardboard about 3'' high to the back side of the primer catcher. Now it never misses a primer.

AZ-Stew
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, now I'm gonna have to go get another press to use up the remaining half of the straw. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Stew

buck1
03-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks, I will try it!...Buck

cabezaverde
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Neat Idea!

mooman76
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought about doing it to my Lee Classic but it catches em pretty well, better than my challenger did.

freedom475
03-06-2009, 12:49 AM
And here I thought you were going to say that you can shoot small pistol/rifle primers out of .177 BB guns. Hey good ideas, those RCBS's sure do spit primers all over the place.

Joe

Very effective!![smilie=1:[smilie=1::mrgreen:

shotman
03-06-2009, 05:35 AM
here is something that works for about all loaders. I have several Lyman All Americans. try catching primers with a heavy duty spring loaded deprime punch. The knee high hose that the ladys wear. It will fit in about any position. On AA it will fit around primer punch if you want. I dont use it that way. I deprime and then clean the brass.

eka
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
That is a neat little trick. I tried it and it works pretty darned well.

Keith

Rocky Raab
03-06-2009, 01:12 PM
And to further improve the RCBS, add this to that plastic catcher tray. Lead the hose to a waste can or a container. You can then sell the spent primers as metal scrap.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/RockyRaab/primertray.jpg

JDFuchs
03-06-2009, 01:40 PM
My first press was a Lee single stage that kept spiting them well beyond the catch tray. I folded a piece of paper and stapled it to encircle the ram in a closed U shape to give clearance form the ram and it kept all the primers where they belonged. The paper was only an inch high so even with it at the brace of the ram i could still easily get tall brass in and out easily.

oldhickory
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I've been thinking about loading them into shot shells for close range vermin controll...

RP
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
great Ideal alot easier than the one i came up with but i share it maybe someone may try it. I took a beer can cut a thin strip that fit the slot in the ram tight pushed it in as far as i could and still allowed primer to pass by. Then used some silicone to hold it in place just filled and worked the ram. Now several K of sized brass later it moves around some but is easy to put back in place if needed. Going to try the straw out.

mooman76
01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
I'll have to try it on my old Lee turret press. I was thinking ouf putting a strip of foam or something in there but this looks better.

AZ-Stew
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll have to look at my Dillon RL-550B. I loaded a bunch of .38 Spl. this weekend and it threw primers all over the shop. 2/3 or less in the primer catcher, the rest on the floor. There must be a way to fix that.

Regards,

Stew

MakeMineA10mm
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Found this in cyber space its a neat trick so I put the straw in both of my rcbs rockchuckers and I wish I had done years ago!

Try it ... It works for me

I have a older rockchucker an it bounces primers all over the place. But I found a way to control them. Go to one of the local fast food place and get a soda straw, one of the large diameter like they use in shakes. cut a piece that will reach from the bottom of the shell holder to 1/4 inch above the bottom of the slot. On the bottom of the cut straw cut at a 45 degree angle or about that. press into the slot of the ram with the point of the straw to the outside. This will keep those primers going all the way down the slot and let the primer catcher tray get most of them. I f you have any trouble with them going out over the front you can put a small wall on the front edge of the catcher to stop them. the average straw around here will do for 2 presses. It's not perfect but it is so much better that you will hit yourself on the forehead and why didn't I think of that it is so simple, well RCBS didn't think of it either.

THANK YOU for passing this on!!! My Lee Classic Cast ram will be getting this modification today!

RayinNH
01-16-2010, 02:17 PM
THANK YOU for passing this on!!! My Lee Classic Cast ram will be getting this modification today!

If you just stick the primer arm in the slot that does the trick as well...Ray