PDA

View Full Version : Dad and I had a blast for a couple of hours

BigBlack
03-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Went to church, great service was spritually feed. After church me, wife and daughter came home and I decided to hide away in the man cave while wife and daughter went to visit mother-n-law. So I fired up the ol lead pot and a hour or so later me and dad had ~600 150gr Semi Wad cutters for my 357!!!

Me and dad sat and enjoyed the fellowship. The way we counted was we weighed 50 and recorded that weight. Once we were finished we weighed the whol thing and used the previous weight to determine we had about 600.

docone31
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
You know, that is what it is about.
How I wish my father and myself could have done anything remotely like that.
It is a shared sense of accomplishment.

RegCom7
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Yep, that's nice to hear. There probably aren't too many sons and fathers who cast boolits together. :-D

Dennis Eugene
03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
I cast, I lube, I load, My son shoots. But hey that's OK. Dennis

Dean D.
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Some of my fondest memories involve reloading and casting with my Dad and my Uncle. I've started to teach my step-son how to do both and we have been having a lot of fun working up cast loads for the Krag I gave him for his birthday this year.

Quality time, yes indeedee. :drinks: :mrgreen: :-D

snaggdit
03-04-2009, 02:19 AM
My son's Xbox 360 just died and was sent in for repairs. It will be 3 or 4 weeks. All of a sudden, he wants to know when we can go to the range again. I told him when he gets enough boolits loaded... LOL. He thinks semi auto means easy to empty a clip in 3 seconds. Fine with me as long as he loads them and fills his own clips. Don't get me wrong. I have taken the time to show him how to shoot. Prone, sitting, standing and pistols with proper one and two hand grips, and for a 13 year old is a very respectable shot. Around New Years in Arkansas, he outshot his Grandpa at the pistol silloette range... If I could just get him to understand that a few well aimed shots beat 20 poorly aimed quick shots any day...

qajaq59
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
If I could just get him to understand that a few well aimed shots beat 20 poorly aimed quick shots any day... Oh, he'll catch on to that after a while, but at that age my guess is that I was a blaster too. Now I'm just the opposite, so there's hope. :)

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I shoot a lot of machine guns, short barrel shotguns and supressed guns. Yes, I have a few 'normal" guns too like reviolvers and pistols. But the machine guns win the day every time.
I cast and load, the kids help me burn up the ammo. My daughter's favirtie is the MAC11A1 in 380 with a supressor. My son's favorite is the Serbu Super Shorty 20 ga 6" bbl pump shotgun.
Great time with the kids.

Mtman314
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Five of my 6 kids love to shoot. My youngest who is 4 is attempting to inform me that she is ready to use the gun to make thebang bangs as she calls them and enjoys going to the range I have setup, to watch us shoot. I figure another year and I'll start her up on the 22 once she can hold it by herself. She is the size of a 6-8 year old and she tries to help me with reloading. I have her helping to chamfer. She also wants to use the press but she doesn't have the strength yet. I also have her helping to wipe down brass. I figure as long as she has an interest and wants to help I'll include her and teach her. At about the 5th grade I taught my son to reload under supervision as part of his homeschooling curriculim. He is 24 now.

Bigjohn
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I have a few memories of good times with my father. One which has stuck firmly in my memory is of both of us sitting against a log in the middle of a paddock.
We were having a bit of smoko (morning tea/coffee break) after a hard morning work cutting Redgum for firewood. Not much was said; it didn't have to be said.

Sadly, nine years later he passed away after a long battle with cancer.

He had had a hard life, served during WW II in the islands and some of what he saw affected him for the rest of his life. He never spoke of it.

Thank you, Jack for being my father,
Your loving son,
John.

tarbe
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Yep, that's nice to hear. There probably aren't too many sons and fathers who cast boolits together. :-D

My son (16 yrs) and I cast some 300gr 45LC boolits last night.

And don't you know I am glad for the shared time!

Tim