PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy potential of SWCBB?

Keppelj
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm new here, not a caster yet, and not sure I'm in the right forum section, but I have a general question about bevel base rounds. I'm working up some loads in .44 Special, using a rest and looking for best groups using three powders. I've bought appropriate diameter rounds for a couple .44's in 240 gr SWCBB and begun testing. What can I expect in potential accuracy for these? Would I be better off with a Keith style (flat base) in the same weight?

fecmech
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know what bullets you have or their accuracy potential but the fact of them being a bevel base design would have little to do with that. There are many bevel base designs used in the .45 auto that have made their bones in the Bullseye game over the years and those are .44 special velocities and pressures. I have had good results in the .44 spec with 231 and Green Dot in the 6-7 grain range. My accuracy criteria for handguns has always been the 10 ring on a 50 yd bullseye pistol target which is a little over 3". If the gun and load can't stay inside that circle at that distance I don't consider it an accurate handgun. Me, staying in that ring is another story!

Shiloh
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I Have an extra .40 175 gr LEE TL mold. I'm considering having a machinist remove the bevel base from. Thinking about the same for a .45 SWC lube groove mold. when I get this done, I'll post results.

Shiloh

Keppelj
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
fecmech, I'd be pretty happy with 3" groups at 50 yards also. One of the powders I'm testing is HP-38, twin to 231, and from what you're saying I should push it to 7 grains or so. I believe the Hodgdon website recommends 4.2-5.2 gr HP-38 for the 240 gr SWC. Thanks for your response.

KCSO
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
How good do you shoot? How accurate is your gun?
There you go.

In my 44 special I could get 1 1/2" c-c at 25 yards with iron sights from the bench.

Keppelj
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
KCSO, the gun is a new 629 6", could be accurate. I have found one plated (indoor) bullet which will group a full chamber at 1.5" at 25 yards. Now I'm working on cast at 50 yards.

crabo
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I've always found that a plain based boolit shoots better than the bevel based one.

30hrrtt
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I have gotten 1" 50 yard groups with 240 swcbb with lee liquid also and 10 grains of unique. Same gun, super redhawk, had a hard time getting them to group in a 12" circle with 296.

Way too many variables. How much time do you have and how many powders? Some combination will probably group well.

Keppelj
03-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Bub, the powders I am loading are Herco, HP-38 and Bullseye, .44 Special casings, mixed head-stamps but pretty consistent lengths. So far I have not tried Unique. I've heard it doesn't meter well in my Dillon 550B. My question here just had to do with the potential accuracy of .44 SWCBB. I'm pleased to learn from you and others that the boolit can be very accurate.

jforwel
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I shoot my best groups with a bevel base in my .41magnum Blackhawk. I can keep 10 shots in 1 1/2" at 25 yards using 2400 or Unique. I have also just tried shooting my first cast boolits, Lee TL .412 @ 215gr made from WW alloy also using Unique and they too will shoot the same size groups. The Lee TL boolits do have a very small bevel base to them.

But as stated above there are sooooooooo many variables. Good luck.

Echo
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
+1 for fecmech's 3" @ 50 yards... BB boolits may be as accurate as PB boolits. The main attraction of BB boolits is that they are easier to start in the case thatn PB...

Bret4207
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I believe the BB adds another wrench that can be thrown in the gears to screw things up. I can't say a BB is less accurate than an identical FB or GC, but I've never seen one more accurate. I have seen a lot of BB boolits that gave larger groups than a similar FB. It's very tough to make a solid call because each gun has it's own likes and there aren;t too many deigns to test this theory out on.

For me, I'll stick with FB.

44man
03-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I can't say it any better then Bret. I removed the BB from a friends mold and cut groups in half at 50 yd's.
Over the years I have tested a bunch of store bought BB boolits in my revolvers and never got the accuracy I want.
I see no reason for a BB anyway and I have no idea why sometimes they just don't work. Reduced seal with gas leakage, reduced drive area, too much weight forward??? It is all a question. :confused:

Irascible
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
"My accuracy criteria for handguns has always been the 10 ring on a 50 yd bullseye pistol target which is a little over 3". If the gun and load can't stay inside that circle at that distance I don't consider it an accurate handgun".
Thank you. All these writers and others bragging about a 3" group at 25yds annoy me.

jdgabbard
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
So far I have not tried Unique. I've heard it doesn't meter well in my Dillon 550B.

Hasn't metered well in my two Lee's either. Then I made a baffle similar to the own RCBS sells. Meters great now. Try it, only beware, its a dirty powder...