PDA

View Full Version : .308 bullet question

Doc1
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Folks, I'm not a very experienced caster, but have been successfully casting for my handguns and bolt actions. My only .30 mold is a 170 gr. Lee flatnose which works OK thus far in the my .308 Mausers, Remington 700 and my 03.

I just acquired an FAL and would like mold suggestions for it. I have about 150 lbs of hard linotype, so imagine I could make a big batch of suitably hard boolits, but the Lee boolits I've loaded in .308 cases will not feed properly in the FAL. I'm pretty sure this is going to require a spire point of some sort. Am I gonna be limited to j-word bullets or is there a boolit that'll work?

I'm not too worried about matching NATO specs - LOL - I'm pretty sure that with the FAL's adjustable gas system I'll be able to use a heavier boolit at lower velocities. Also, my priority here is not the best possible accuracy, but the best possible cycling.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with cast boolits in semi rifles - and especially the FAL? Your input greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Doc

docone31
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
My NATO chambers all utilize the Lee 180gn spire point. They chamber real well.
I do not know in an FAL, as I do not have one.
Might work.

revolver junkie
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
i used to have a CETME a few years ago i managed to get it to fire 200 gr gc lees but my brass life was squat because of the fluted chamber accuacy wasn't bad though

GabbyM
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
The M1's and M-14's shoot well with the 200 grain Lyman #311299. You need a long enough magazine to hold the 2.815 O.L. of the loaded round. If that's to long their is the #311672 bullet at 160 grains.

The 311672's I've cast up so far have weighed 164 grains. If those FAL barrels have a 1-12” rifling twist the 160 grain bullet may be the way to go. I could set you up with some of both to try out.

What was it about the Lee bullet that failed to feed?

richbug
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
My FN FAL's fed the Lee 200 grain bullets fine. Sadly they were lost in a tragic boating accident.

TAWILDCATT
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I load lees 312-160 in 03 with 13 gr red dot.and they touch each other at 100 yrds.I am going to develope a load for my M1 garand carbine and the full size M1.
also a 8 mm for my fn49.to cold for me now.its supposed to be warm in the south where is al gore when you need him.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Echo
03-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Doc1, I suggest you cut your lino 50/50, or even 2/1, with WW's. Pure lino is too hard...

Doc1
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Gabby,

The feed problem with my Lee boolets is that the meplat is causing failure to feed. They're getting stuck on the on the chamber rim just above the ramp mostly and sometimes in the mag well. I will give the rifle a good polish job on the ramp, but I don't think that's the problem; it's that the boolet profile just isn't very compatible with the FAL's feed system. The rifle feeds FMJs perfectly and of course, that's what it was designed for. It will feed soft point bullets reliably, but even here it damages the exposed lead slightly

I've done a few ramp polish jobs on 1911s and Hi Powers, but I don't change the geometry at all...I merely polish. A dremel tool in overly-enthusiastic hands represents the road to disaster!

After carefully examining the mags, ramp and chamber of this rifle, I'm pretty certain that it simply wants a spire point projectile and I'd like to find a boolet mold that'll do the job and give me cheap plinking fodder for this cool old war horse.

My sincere thanks to all of you and I'll eagerly continue to benefit from your input.

Best regards
Doc

GabbyM
03-05-2009, 01:34 AM
If it will fee soft point the 311672 top right or the 311299 bottom right should feed.
Cast hard they would not dent like a soft nose J bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=458
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=460