PDA

View Full Version : considering jacketed as a test

mainiac
01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
how many of you guys started shooting jacketed in your revolvers,just to see if the can match or beat your cast? I might be deserving of a lynching for even mentioning it here,but had to ask!!!!!!! Since getting back into handguns,(blackhawks and cast bullets only), i am wondering where my accuracy levels have progressed. Have no desire to scrub copper again, but these blackhawks have never seen a jacketed bullet, and what happens if i do this and the jacketed shoots mauch better? Is it possible? Can certain guns shoot jacketed MUCH better than cast? Whats you fellers experience? Thanks,mark 12-20 dollars a hundred is sure going to hurt though!!!!!

Bass Ackward
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
how many of you guys started shooting jacketed in your revolvers,just to see if the can match or beat your cast? I might be deserving of a lynching for even mentioning it here,but had to ask!!!!!!! Since getting back into handguns,(blackhawks and cast bullets only), i am wondering where my accuracy levels have progressed. Have no desire to scrub copper again, but these blackhawks have never seen a jacketed bullet, and what happens if i do this and the jacketed shoots mauch better? Is it possible? Can certain guns shoot jacketed MUCH better than cast? Whats you fellers experience? Thanks,mark 12-20 dollars a hundred is sure going to hurt though!!!!!

Mark,

Jacketed correct misalignment of cylinders faster than lead. Jacketed smooth barrels faster than lead. Jacketed harden the rifling while lead will not. In other words, don't be afraid of jacketed in modern steel barrels.

So run the experiment and tell us what "you" find.

David R
01-31-2006, 10:37 PM
I usually shoot 500 or so jacketed in an new gun to smooze out the barrel before firing lead. It works for me.

As you improve with the cast, accuracy will probably exceed your jacketed because you have more control.

David

44man
02-01-2006, 01:21 AM
I shot mostly jacketed for silhouette. I went back through all my test targets and found that I am getting smaller groups with cast boolits. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. The XTP was the most accurate bullet in my Rugers.