PDA

View Full Version : lead poison new twist

Little Doc
03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
can anyone shed some light on this. we have seen different discussions on the effects of lead on the human body. well, i recieved for christmas a flask, never needed one but got one. it says made in china. stainless steel and hase soulder joints. now my question is if it is used is there a possibility of the lead in the solder going to affect the user? or should i assume that the chinese used lead free solder. they have not in other products. what say you. just an intersting thought i choose to share with you. what do you know, think?
little doc

NSP64
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
The solder joints maybe lead free. Get a test kit and test it.

swheeler
03-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Fill the flask with a good bourbon, empty it every day, you will never worry about lead poisoning! Just kidding, get a kit and test it, or put it on your mantle to look at.

NSP64
03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Sears has the kits $11.00 six test pads and test solution.:drinks:

Paladin 56
03-03-2009, 12:41 AM
what say you. just an intersting thought i choose to share with you. what do you know, think?
little doc

Little Doc,

It's made in china. Do you really think they care about your health and well being when they poison their own for less? DO NOT USE IT. Except for decoration. But don't drink out of it. If you don't believe me, just ask the Romans.

Actually, even if it is lead based solder, it would most likely take the rest of your life to kill you.

David

kooz
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I would not drink from a flask that was made in China.

Lloyd Smale
03-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Im 53 and have been doing fine for that long ignoring all the warnings. Ive been treated for high lead levels 3 times and am still a smoker though id like to change that. I will not live my life afraid to drink soda or eat out of plastic dishes or fear the microwave. I personaly think all the doctors that discovered all these things are bad for you did more of a diservice then if they would have shut there mouths. I would guess that as many people are killed from stress from worrying about staying health as are killed from doing unhealthy things. You want to lead a good life go out and do what you enjoy. Take the stress out of your life for at least an hour a day. thats my px!!

Boerrancher
03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Lloyd,

Well said.

I don't buy into any of this health hype. When I was a kid eggs were bad for you, now they are not. For a while Coffee and tea were bad for you, now they are not. The list goes on and on. Anyone with any sense at all knows that anything to excess is not good for you. I refuse to change the way I live because I am worried about dieing. With all that I have been through in my life I haven't died yet. I think when your number is up that is it and it doesn't matter how "Healthy" or "Unhealthy" you lived just as long as nothing was excessive. I would not worry about a bit of lead solder in a flask. If you drink enough out of it that the lead lead causes you health problems, your liver will have failed you long before.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

pdawg_shooter
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Life is a sexually transmitted disease that has a 100% fatality rate! Anything you eat, drink, or inhale is gonna kill you. Relax and enjoy life. You only go around once!

bbs70
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
This reminds me of a song I heard some years ago.:-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOY4cSVfy8

montana_charlie
03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
i recieved for christmas a flask, never needed one but got one. it says made in china. stainless steel and hase soulder joints. now my question is if it is used is there a possibility of the lead in the solder going to affect the user?
I don't know of any lead-based solder that will even stick to stainless steel.
I doubt that you have anything to worry about.

But, even if there IS lead in the solder, consider this...
If you were able to extract all lead from the solder in that joint (assuming there is some)...and ate it in one gulp...it would probably not be enough to show up in a doctor's test for lead contamination.

I have probably swallowed enough birdshot pellets (over my life) to easily exceed any amount of lead that could possibly be in that solder joint.
CM

technetium-99m
03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Actually guys, smoking is bad for you, just sayin (I know we all know a guy who lived to 105 and he smoked 3 packs of Camels a day from the age of 2 and was fine).

But on the plus side, drinking in moderation is good for you!

Cheers!

454PB
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm with mt charlie, I've never seen a solder that would stick to stainless.

mag_01
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree with Paladin

TAWILDCATT
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I am 84 and have been casting sin 1937/9 and still am.since I dont smoke and dont eat or drink while casting [I am to busy] I dont wory about it.
lLoyd:how did you get rid of the lead??I never found a doc that could tell me.:coffee:[smilie=1:

JSnover
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Seems like pretty much anything that comes out of China has lead. I wouldn't worry about the flask, though. Even if it did have lead joints and you drank from it every day I doubt you could leach enough out to worry about. When I was a kid I used to cast my own sinkers. Once in a while I played with globs of mecury, rolling it back and forth in my palms. I've been tested five times for lead and came up negative every time.

colbyjack
03-03-2009, 07:41 PM
i ate lead paint chips as a kid, swallered spilt shots when fishing, carried lead pellets in my mouth as a kid when shooting in the back yard, i cast in the basement and smelt in the garage, shoot i even played with mercury as a kid. im still kicking, the willy still works, the belly is big, wife still complains, and ammo is expensive. we will live on, filler up, choke her down dont look back. god speed -chris

nicholst55
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Life is a sexually transmitted disease that has a 100% fatality rate! Anything you eat, drink, or inhale is gonna kill you. Relax and enjoy life. You only go around once!

Now that's a statement that I can agree with! Shoot, I think that just became my new signature line.

Little Doc
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
thanks to all for the input.
little doc

Echo
03-04-2009, 01:18 AM
L.D., put the adult beverage of your choosing in that flask and press on. The tenure-track MD's have to publish SOMETHING...

Jbar4Ranch
03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Many of us, including myself, probably still have plumbing in our homes with lead solder joints.

how did you get rid of the lead??I never found a doc that could tell me
You don't. After it's in your blood stream, it migrates to your bones over a period of several months where it stays for the rest of your life. Chelation, a drug treatment to remove lead from your blood, is generally a bad idea due to the sharp granular structure of lead which will permanently damage your kidneys.

Irascible
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Is it painted up too? Even more lead. I agree with don't worry about things you can't control, but this you can. Put it on the shelf.

kamikaze1a
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Lil Doc, just stay away from storing acidic beverages like fruit juices or wines. The acid ill increase leaching of the lead out of solder IF it is lead solder...