PDA

View Full Version : Curent casting session

yodar
03-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Had time and cool weather to melt down some wheelweights and clean it up for the impending war of the worlds ;>)

Filled up the entire dutch oven, and added a piece of Antimonymans high antimony Lead tin self fluxing ingot...It didnt want to dissolve, which is why the guy I got it from the fellow that gave it to me. I took out the mapp-gas torch and tried to make it melt. No joy.

I Gave up and tossed in a 1 lb ingot of Lino to what was prolly almost 100 lb of melted wheelweights.

Carelessly handling the mysterymetal from antimonyman I accidentally dropped it into the melt. NO splashes, thank the Lord, Went inside, snagged the stainless steel tongs and lifted it out and discovered 75% of it was GONE !

4 of the 5 lbs of that ingot was now in my melt.. Plus the 1 lb of LINO I added. I got some real HARD lead now, I betcha!

To use it, I GUESS I will hafta melt some strait wheelweights, add nothing to them and when I cast use them in concert with the superhard stuff. I am guessing maybe 4 wheelweight to 1 ingot of superhard stuff. We'll see.

I havent the slightest idea how to figger the composition. I'm guessing it's at least 6% antimony and tin

But if anybody has a hardness tester I'd pay postage both ways and trade 9mm or .45 brass for someone to do the test for me

Thanky !

yodar in winter godden fl.

GP100man
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
send a few boolits & it`ll only cost postage of sending em & a few boolits !!!!
i have a lee tester which i feel if used as designed will tell the bhn as good as some more expensive units .
even better when someone else chimes in you can send boolits out to a couple people to compare readings???

pm for addy

GP100man:castmine:

runfiverun
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
if you know the composition of all the parts just add them up and divide by the total weight.
like 3x90 + 12 +24 then divide by 92. or whatever