PDA

View Full Version : Mag VS standard primers in the .44 magnum

44man
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
All of you know that I say to try standard primers in the .44. I had to put the red dot back on my Ruger so I went down to sight it back in. Thought I would test primers again at the same time. I shot several groups with my normal load first until I was close to center. Ran out of them so I started shooting magnum primers. I loaded down and up using the same boolit and 296 powder. The muzzle blast was stronger and recoil a little more but even with a reduced charge, groups sucked.
The top target was with Fed 150 primers and the bottom target is the smallest I was able to shoot with the mag primers with any charge of 296. I was shooting Creedmore off the side of my leg and all shots broke with the dot in the center. I shot over 100 shots trying to get the mag primers to equal the 150's.

bisley45
01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
very interesting
will have to give that a try

mag_01
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
:lovebooli I use the winchester large pistol good for reg. or mag. with good results

Ed Barrett
02-01-2006, 11:01 AM
For the last 12 years I use only Winchester LP primers in the .44 mag. I get better accuracy, I keep a couple of boxes of mag primers around because I got them for free. Regular primers have always seemed more consistant to me. in the .357 mag and .357 max I use regular small pistol primers. I seem to out shoot the people using the Magnum primers. Don't give away my secret. <g>

44man
02-01-2006, 03:12 PM
The Winchester is a good primer and not as hot as a full mag primer. Primer pressure is what hurts, not the heat. I have been trying to give away the secret for a while. Now that you ask, I wll quit.
Some cases NEED a mag primer to shoot their best. All I have been saying is to try both and other brands. Never make the firm decision that the loading manuals and other shooters are right until you find out for yourself.
Saying that the .44 NEEDS a mag primer is like telling everyone that such and such boolit is the ONLY one that works or that powder is the ONLY one that is worth buying.
What a firestorm THAT would make!