PDA

View Full Version : www.castpics.net

carpetman
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Many new folks here so for their benefit: Several years ago when felix was just becoming the worlds best known one name person---exceeding Elvis,Cher,Liberace and all others,the requests for his recipe for lube became such,that the demand could no longer be kept up with individual replies. So a site was established and first ran by felix's son Tommy. Today the site still exists and is ran by Sundog. Anyways go to www.castpics.net and a lot of good stuff posted there. There's a section that has recipes. I have two recipes there,one for biscuits---real simple and one for Mexican cornbread. Like to invite you to try em and let me know how they work for you. BTW the mexican cornbread even gained some popularity as far away as Australia(was added to the menu at a cafe)but certainly not world fame class yet. The biscuits are even something I can make---so they are easy. You may have some stuff that you would like posted there and Sundog right here on this board can hook you up.

scrapcan
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Carpetman,

I have tried you biscuit recipe and it is similar to the way my grandmother and my mom make biscuits. My grandmother (no longer with us, sorry to say) grew up in the early 1900's at a time when moeny was scarce and food storage was still primitive. She also came from a large family that lived in a small farm house. This made less space for storage, so necessity being the mother of invention here is the unique part of their making buiscuits.

They, now only my mom, made the biscuits in the flour sack. Now actually made in the flour canister.storage barrel. they do not use self rising flour but principle is the same. The consistency (take that as liquid quantity) and not overworking the flour are the key as I am told.

Anyway your recipe is a good one. And even though they may not be as good as your dads were (much the same as my hockey pucks are not as good as the flakey soft biscuits fo my youth) they are still better than anything that comes out of an exploding can.

Thanks for sharing.

Would also like to add to the blackeyed Peas recipe. My Grandma was from georgia and oklahoma and it was customary for our family to add Okra. Nothing better in my book as blackeyed peas with okra and cornbread on New Years day. This also happens to be one my wife's family favorites also. She spent some time growing up in TX and Louisiana.

carpetman
02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
ManleyJt---Thanks for the feedback on the biscuits---glad you enjoyed them. From what you said,you must try the Mexican Cornbread, can about guarantee both you and your wife will love it. It can be a meal in itself. I don't like onions so omitted them---you might want to ruin it and add them. Okra---I like it fried but don't care much for it boiled. Blackeyed peas in some parts of the country most folks will turn up their nose at them. Funny thing is,they only tried them out of the can and for the most part canned blackeyed peas are not good. Gotta cook your own. Something about okra I'll share. In 1955 my aunt came from Denver to Wichita Falls,Texas---about 650 miles. I went back to Denver with her on a train. She carried a sack of okra back,as she couldn't get okra there and back then most from Denver had not even heard of it. While there I saw salted sunflower seeds in a package for the first time. The kids wondered where I'd been to have never seen such. I would ask them about okra and most had never heard of it. Now to me the amazing part. From Wichita Falls to Amarillo is about 230 miles of the 650 miles I mentioned,and the folks in Amarillo know about okra. So back then,somewhere in less than a 420 mile span communication was lost.

Wayne Dobbs
02-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Them poor Yankees: don't know about okry and turn up their noses at black eyed peas! Dont know what my family would have done if we hadn't had peas, pinto beans, corn bread and okra when I was growing up!

WD

scrapcan
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Guys I know what you mean.

I am a pretty young guy and most of the people my age do not know about Okra or Blackeyed peas. At least not until we got a texas roadhouse restaurant that serves fried okra.

Okra is something I grew up with and I can tell you even fewer people In this neck of the woods (or atleast in this place where if you can see a hundred miles you can see teh woods) know what an Okra plant looks like.

I will try the mexican corn bread.

Another item that I like is asparagus. boiled, grilled ,etc doesn't matter.

Anyway thanks for sharign the recipes.

wills
02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Them poor Yankees: don't know about okry and turn up their noses at black eyed peas!

WD

That's OK they dont deserve them. (No offense intended to present company)

http://www.castpics.net/recipes/black_eyed_peas/black_eyed_peas.htm

carpetman
02-03-2006, 09:03 PM
I've never tried fried cornbread. Sounds to me would be like a hush puppy and while I do like cornbread,don't like hush puppies. Left over mashed potatoes----fry em----you'll like em---call them potato patties. You could mix in some corn and they are still good(no onions for me).

Capn Jack
12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Slice up left-over Oatmeal Mush. Fry it in bacon grease and serve with maple syrup. Goood Stuff....:coffee:

starmac
12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
A couple years ago I was working with a crew mostly from oregon and washington.
Most of us stayed in the same campground, I cooked fried okra and squash and everyone was not even wanting to try it, after the first time they were cooking it too and you had to be quick if you wanted some.