PDA

View Full Version : Star Questions

mpmarty
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Gotta get a little help from my friends.
I've got a Star (old style from the seventies) lubrisizer.
I cast for rifle and pistol. Most 30cal rifle boolits are two radius ogives (pointy)
I gas check rifle boolits, 30cal and 45/70 the latter is a flat nose naturally.
I'd like to just go with flat punches and nose first to avoid the hassle of matching the punch to the nose shape. How well do gas checks work on a nose first sizing system?

Gas checks are all Hornady

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

Jack Stanley
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a LEE push through die that works with the loading press that works just fine . I don't know if the Star will be a problem perhaps as long as the checks are seated well to begin with they will be fine .

I have lube and sized thirty caliber bullets point first without using gas checks and they worked just fine . The bullets I've used so far are the Lyman 311291 and the 311466 . I haven't tried anything more pointy than that .

Jack

HeavyMetal
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
When I run gas checks through my Star the boolit gives enough resistance to keep the gas check flat and flush against the boolit base.

Once they hit that portion of the sizing die that is the correct diameter they are crimped on forever!

I have always nose sized in my Stars and it works great with checks provided they are the correct size for the boolit base!

mpmarty
03-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys.. Now I can go ahead and order my dies and flat faced pushers.:drinks: