PDA

View Full Version : For you budding cherry type mould makers

Buckshot
01-30-2006, 09:21 PM
..............I was perusing the new Grizzley catalog and in the vise section they now have a double acting (self centering) 4" vise. It's listed at $129 + shipping. Both jaws run in dovetails, has adjustable gibbs. Picture shows a nice looking unit.

Of course you could buy one from Kurt for $1200 8). Anyway, the thing might need some tweaking or slight massageing. Says jaws are 1.5" deep, 4" wide and open up 4". Has a baseplate with the obvious intention of being bolted down.

If a guy had a REALLY good drill press you could prolly cherry some decent moulds. Well, you'd have to be able to make the cherry of course!

.................Buckshot

Ross
01-31-2006, 12:08 AM
..............I was perusing the new Grizzley catalog and in the vise section they now have a double acting (self centering) 4" vise. It's listed at $129 + shipping. Both jaws run in dovetails, has adjustable gibbs. Picture shows a nice looking unit. . .
.................Buckshot

It's been about twenty years ago, but the inexpensive double-acting vice I found then was so sloppy that I found it unusable for mold cutting.
I would not advise ordering one sight unseen, though some of the recent oriental stuff has been surprisingly good.
And by the way, happy new year.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

trk
01-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Watch Ebay. I picked up a 6" double acting vice (Kurt knockoff, but excellent quality) for a couple of hundred. The manufacturing defect was that the vice jaw was drilled for the two locating holes incorrectly. But since the vice jaws and the inside pair of jaws were the first things to come off (to fit a fixture to hold bullet moulds) I cashed in on the 'factory second'.