PDA

View Full Version : Tipped hollow point ?

vic308
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Did anyone try to put a tip, like a steel shot into a HP, out there?
Just my curiosity, I think that the tip should help with expansion in harder bullets?
Vic

OeldeWolf
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I am not sure, but I seem to remember a letter in one of the old American Rifleman issues, a fellow trying to identify some ammo he found in the attic. Commercially prepared, sounding like what you are talking of. If I recall correctly, the response was that it was antique, worked well, and was illegal under modern laws.

Might want to get a few responses here before making any up.

TC66
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Here is an article I found a while back about Hollowpoint Expansion question. Pretty interesting article.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st_70hollowpoint_200811/

dk17hmr
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I have filled a few cast hollow points with candle wax just to see. The exploding water jug was more dramatic than just a regular hollow point.

anachronism
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Expansion isn't the real issue with semi-hard cast bullets. The real problem is fragmentation, leading to reduced penetration.

beagle
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
There was an article many moons ago in the American Rifleman written around the 457122HP. They used all kinds of fillers and plugs. Hydraulic fluid, oil, water, wax. Fillers were BBs, screws and fired primers.

As well as I recall, a cavity filled with water, capped by a fired primer worked really well for them./beagle

Boerrancher
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
A good friend of mine took a Lee 45-70 mould, I don't remember what number other than it was a single cavity Round nosed 400 plus grains in weight, and hollow pointed it enough to place a 22 short in the cavity with a small amount of air space between the bottom of the cavity and the bullet. The rim seated firmly against the nose of the cast boolit. It was not as dramatic as we had hoped when shooting things like rocks and such, but on a gallon milk jug filled with water, it would not totally penetrate 2 jugs. The first jug would vanish is a cloud of water, and the second would be full of holes ranging from about 35 cal on down to #8 bird shot. I still wish I had that mould, as that boolit shot real well out of my sharps.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

EDK
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
The HOXIE bullet was publicized in the late 1880/1890? time frame as the greatest thing available. It used something on the order of a bb in the hollowpoint to help expansion.

Someone/somewhere dreamed up using a 22 blank in the nose of various center fire bullets...I think there was a tool similar to the FORSTER hollow pointer used in their case trimmer.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

docone31
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
The Hoxie Bullet though is jacketed. All the cross sections of the design showed a jacket. The hollow point was also tapered from large to small in the mid section of the bullet.

1Shirt
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Just rub the HP nose in the loaded ctg over a block of beeswax that is at least room temp. The cacity fills easily, and they do expand better for me than just the plain HP.
1Shirt!:coffee:

JSnover
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
For a while you could buy .25 auto "ball assist" loads just like you describe; A hollowpoint bullet with a bb in the cavity. It didn't make a huge difference but with a larger bullet or more velocity the results might have been better.

C1PNR
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
IIRC, Winchester (or maybe someone else) produced "defense" loads for the .32 ACP (and maybe .25 ACP and/or .380) that had a small bird shot in the hollow point of an otherwise FMJ bullet.

I bought a box of those back in the day before I started loading my own, so that had to be in the late 60's or so.

Anyone else remember those?

Above was posted as I was typing. So someone else does remember!

JSnover
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep. Never owned a .25 but I thought the idea was kinda neat.

hunter64
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I have a book here somewhere called "Homemade Combat Ammo" or something like that that gives detailes into how to make explosive ammo. One method was as discribed, drill a deep fat hole the same size as a #8 or 7 shot. Fill the cavity with grease and close the hole off with the lead shot. Next, with a solder gun slighlty melt the shot and the bullet together to make sure it is completely sealed off.
I did this years ago on a .22lr hollow point bullet, opened it up a little bit and filled with grease as discribed. I shot a gopher at 20 yards with it and it was about the same as shooting it with a .223, blood and guts everywhere.