PDA

View Full Version : Rossi/Puma 1892 front sight replacement?

j23
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a Rossi stainless 357. It has the front barrel band and a pinned in blade if that makes sense? I believe they are all front sighted like that...

Can this be replaced with a fire-sight/fiberoptic sight? Or even a brass bead!? That black square front sight is horrible out in the woods.

Thanks!
Joe

Baron von Trollwhack
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a blued model with that type of front sight. I replaced the blade for height and width to allow me to see it better and sight in at anticipated shooting distance.

I wrap a tiny piece of 3-M reflective tape around the blade to make it more visible in the woods. But, as with most iron sights in the evening dusk, you have to be prepared to take the decreasing light into account by choice of stand or location relative to the setting sun.

I have thought of superglueing a piece of light pipe on the top of the post, and have used bow sight paint. Reflective tape was easiest for me.

BvT

Boerrancher
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I took a piece of sand paper to the back of the blade and the top to remove the bluing, and then took some white out and painted it. after the white out dried I coated it in a clear finger nail polish to protect it. It works great, but if you want something that works better for low light conditions, put a marbles tang sight on it as well.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

NickSS
03-02-2009, 05:40 AM
I use model airplane white paint on my front sight it shows up good and lasts a long time between coats. I have been doing this for years to improve iron sight picture in the woods works for me.

cajun shooter
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Steve Young does a fix by installing a large brass bead. He has a long waiting period though. You might look at his site and give the idea to a local gunsmith or call Steve and set up a repair date and he will contact you. If you do the fix and add a Marbles adjustable tang site the little Puma will become a great rifle to have and shoot. I have three so I'm talking from experience .

bobk
03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
The brass bead picks up light, and this can be a bad thing. I think the best bead would be one that is flat faced, rather than rounded. I about drove myself nuts trying to sight in a 99 Savage many years ago. Group kept moving horizontally. When the sun went over the hill, the group moved back to the left. I finally dawned on me that the way the light was hitting the bead determined where the bullets went. Personally, I like the light pipes, but there are some guns I would not put them on, because it would not be traditional.

Bob K

cajun shooter
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Well Bobk, The big round brass bead works well for my 61 year old eyes. Just finished shooting a lot of clean stages in a 3 day CAS match with them. The sights that you like are not allowed and I'm happy for that. When the sun goes down this body is in it's recliner resting. The "DUKE" would roll over in his grave and say "What the hell are you doing Pilgrim?