PDA

View Full Version : Bored---So I baked a pie!!!

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I baked up this 50-70 Pie just for you guys! It was actually quite easy. Dump in a bunch of WWs, sparkling shiney new, and clean! Add a little bit of flux; and whamo! A 50-70 Pie! Of course I had to run 300 bullets through my Lyman Lube-Sizer. I think it came out just right! What do you think?

Walmart was selling off their metal pie pans; bought four for $3.00!

I think my new Lone Star 50-70 Rolling Block, soon to arrive will like these 425gn bullets just fine!
:Fire::Fire::Fire:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/50-70Pie.jpg

Tom Herman
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
That sure is one pretty pie! Great idea for storing the 50-70's.
What mold did you use?
I'm envious of the roller! I hope it greatly exceeds your expectations for fun and accuracy... I have one on my "wish list" as well!
What sort of trim is yours in?

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Ole
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
My mom gave me a bunch of pie pans that I use to inspect/sort cast boolits. :drinks:

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Hello Tom & Ole!

Tom, thanks for the comments!
Yes, it's a Lyman #515-141BV! It , or I shall say they make a really nice bullets. In these big calibers, unless someone wants to pay for customs there's not much choice but single cavity. It's why I just buy two; working them in tandem. What you see is about 3 hours casting, sizing, and lubing; amounting to just over 300 bullets. I thought I did pretty good; although, I'm certainly no speed Demon! [smilie=b:

My two LoneStars are just basic guns; I've got a 38-55 coming as well. Dave Higginbotham took two of my actions; making them for me. I've got one of his already in a 45-120. It's a tack driver.

Ole; that's exactly why I bought them too. Really, they do come in handy. I've got some metal bread pans I like using too. Especially when casting. :lovebooli

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/Piewide.jpg

Ole
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello Tom & Ole!

Tom, thanks for the comments!
Yes, it's a Lyman #515-141BV! It , or I shall say they make a really nice bullets. In these big calibers, unless someone wants to pay for customs there's not much choice but single cavity. It's why I just buy two; working them in tandem. What you see is about 3 hours casting, sizing, and lubing; amounting to just over 300 bullets. I thought I did pretty good; although, I'm certainly no speed Demon! [smilie=b:

My two LoneStars are just basic guns; I've got a 38-55 coming as well. Dave Higginbotham took two of my actions; making them for me. I've got one of his already in a 45-120. It's a tack driver.

Ole; that's exactly why I bought them too. Really, they do come in handy. I've got some metal bread pans I like using too. Especially when casting. :lovebooli

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/Piewide.jpg

Sweet.

I've got a batch of my Ranch dog 265 grain 44 bullets that I just did in my toaster oven as we speak. 1hr @ 435 should give me the hardness i'm looking for. It's tough to get the bullets all to drop at the same time with the 6 banger mold. I might end up selling this mold and just buying a regular 2 bagger.

You sure can empty a 4 lb Lee pot fast with this thing though. :mrgreen:

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey, I've been hearing some good things about the Ranch Dog mould. Are you shooting 44 mags? What dia. bullet does your mould throw? I'm a nosey dog; what brand gun are you using? :)

I've got a couple of 4 cavity moulds. Once you use those suckers, you don't want to ever see a single, or even a double cavity mould again.

kendall yates
03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
were those made from my WW?

Ole
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey, I've been hearing some good things about the Ranch Dog mould. Are you shooting 44 mags? What dia. bullet does your mould throw? I'm a nosey dog; what brand gun are you using? :)

I've got a couple of 4 cavity moulds. Once you use those suckers, you don't want to ever see a single, or even a double cavity mould again.

I used 2.5/1 WW/pure lead with 2% tin added.

I'll measure one for you when they get done cooking. [smilie=2:

These are mostly for my Ruger Redhawk, 7 1/2". I'll try them in my Marlin 1894 too.

I've used the Beartooth 355gr bullets @ .432" before and both my pistol and rifle liked those. Those are a little too much for general shooting though for my tastes.

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Hello Ken!
Hades no, yours were too dirty! :)

Just kidding. Actually I picked up a couple hundred pounds of brand new wws yesterday! I got extremely lucky. What is so nice about it, the gent told me he thought he had more. I'm going to call him in the morning; taking all he's got left.

By the way, the other box of wws has not shown up yet. Maybe tomorrow?

Thanks buddy!
GRB

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Ole!
355 gns out of a Ruger BH is going to kick just a little bit; right? How fast were you pushing it?

What weight-style bullet are you casting now?

GRB

Ole
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Ole!
355 gns out of a Ruger BH is going to kick just a little bit; right? How fast were you pushing it?

What weight-style bullet are you casting now?

GRB

I seem to remember it was around 1200. It was midway in between the starting load and the max load on the Hornady site.

The ranch dog 265 is the first mold i've bought for my .44.

It weighs right @ 265 w/o gas check with my alloy. It measured .434" I bought a .432" sizer, so it should size down a little.

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh, I missed that! I'd rather have a mould which cast a little bit larger, than the other way around. Is the 6 cav. really that hard to handle?I've got an NEI coming in this week; it's aluminum.

GRB

Ole
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh, I missed that! I'd rather have a mould which cast a little bit larger, than the other way around. Is the 6 cav. really that hard to handle?I've got an NEI coming in this week; it's aluminum.

GRB

It runs in spurts for me. Sometimes I break the sprue and look at 6 perfect boolits, sometimes I look at 2 nice ones and 4 half empty molds.

:confused:

I will say it seems to run better when I hit it with the propane torch for a few seconds after dumping the last batch.

BTW: I'm pretty sure they didn't design my melter (4lb LEE) for this kind of mould.

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
One secret I've learned about casting, you regulate the heat with your mould, not the pot.
I like to see a light frost on my bullets. It's when I know the temp is pretty close to the edge. I also run at least two moulds when casting. Sometimes more; depending on the number of cavities and the size of the bullet. For example, the .512s I ran today? Two moulds working. One after the other. The break gave each mould just enough time to cool off.

Does yourRanch Dog use the nutcraker style handles?

GRB

Ole
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
One secret I've learned about casting, you regulate the heat with your mould, not the pot.
I like to see a light frost on my bullets. It's when I know the temp is pretty close to the edge. I also run at least two moulds when casting. Sometimes more; depending on the number of cavities and the size of the bullet. For example, the .512s I ran today? Two moulds working. One after the other. The break gave each mould just enough time to cool off.

Does yourRanch Dog use the nutcraker style handles?

GRB

It has a wooden handle on the sprue breaker (that came off about 20 times today). :roll:

Yeah I figured that's what was the problem (mold too cold). That's why I would hit it now and then with a propane torch to try to get it warmed up.

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
A wooden handle on the sprue plate? That's a little odd. I'm not too familiar with too many thing, but I've yet to see wood on the sprue plate. Have you got a pic of that thing? Sounds fancy! :)

And, you mentioned a possibility of selling; are you serious? If so.
Email me @
bummerdudestar@hotmail.com

GRB

Ole
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
A wooden handle on the sprue plate? That's a little odd. I'm not too familiar with too many thing, but I've yet to see wood on the sprue plate. Have you got a pic of that thing? Sounds fancy! :)

And, you mentioned a possibility of selling; are you serious? If so.
Email me @
bummerdudestar@hotmail.com

GRB

There are a couple pictures in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47494

I'll have to try it again tomorrow and see if the age helps it any. I think the sprue plate was probably too cold today, causing the lead to freeze over a few chambers before it made it to the mold.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Golden, looks like you bake a real nice pie, 50 or 44 cal. let us know how they shoot..

Ron B.
03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey Ole!
I lied; I have too seen wood handles on a sprue plate. It's just been almost too long to remember! I followed your link; seeing the pic of your mould. Great job on the handles!

Yes, seeing your bullets in the photo I think you're dead right; the mould was too cold. Cast in fast succession 4-5 times in the beginning; discarding those bullets. You should be okay then. I dump the bullets a few seconds after observing the sprue turn white. I recommend also, if you have another mould to use the two in tandem. You'll reach a point very quickly, where you moulds will over-heat. You'll need to give them a 30-45 second break between session.

Slow Elk!
Actually, the bullets are all 425 grain .512 diameters for my 50-70s. I have an original Sharps Carbine, and a Trapdoor, both in 50-70. This is a wonderful little bullet; accurate in both. I only load to 1050fps. No use hurting anything up range; or down! Lol!

GRB

IcerUSA
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Ole , as long as your using a Lee 4lb pot I would try filling just a couple of the cavities at a time , just might make that mould work a little better . :)

I use the Lee 20lb pot with a Lee 10lb pot as a pre-melt pot and with that RD mould in 6 cavity it will empty both pots fast .

Keith