PDA

View Full Version : 9x18 Reloads

jerry6stl
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Is anyone else having fun reloading for the 9x18 Makarov cartridge?

The only mold I've found is the Lee, and it seems to be fine. I didn't buy a new sizing die, so am shooting them "as cast" with Lee liquid lube.

My two "Makarovs" really aren't. One is a CZ-82, ad the other is the Hungarian PPK copy called a PA-63. So far, so good with both.

Does anyone have a good load to recommend?

Jerry

Sprue
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Very cheap to load for. Cut down 9mm brass and cast booits. I've relaoded a bunch over the years, in fact I still have lots of them in plastic cases. I've never bought more a couple boxes of factory ammo ever. My powders of choice are AA#5 and Bullseye. Right now I have a Bulgy and a comm Russian 12 rnd Hicap 380.

TCLouis
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
How are the cast boolits and the polygonal "rifling" getting along.

Supposedly does not work with the Glock so I was just wondering.

I could NOT believe the holster and Mag pouch that came with mine. FAR beyond the quality I am used to seeing from the E. European guns.

dolang1
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I have had no issues with shooting cast thru my Cz82. There is a group buy going on now for the 9x18. Later Don

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=46841

JIMinPHX
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
3 gr of Bullseye under a 100ish grain boolit works great for me. Accuracy is good. Recoil is modest.

When you get around to slugging that PA-63, don't be surprised if the bore comes up a little on the large size. A lot of them do. Lots of guys report good results with shooting as-cast boolits out of them.

beemer
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Both my Bulgarian and P-64 sluged out large but the Lee mould is too so it shoots fine. I like shooting the Bulgarian but it tossed the brass into parts unknown. I bought a heavy recoil spring and worked up a lighter load, it shoots fine and is easier on the gun. I ended up at a 3.1 grs of 231 and the Lee bullet as cast and lubed with LLA. I hate to chase that new Starline brass so I hang a sheet up beside the bench to catch it.

I put a heaver spring on the P-64, it helped but the thing still kicks like a mule. It is reliable so use it for a carry gun loaded with factory ammo.

beemer

DanM
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I did a lot of experimenting with 9x18, and found that Winchester Super field was the best powder for cast and for XTPs. Unique was a close second. This was in several Makarovs and I was loading to duplicate the hot Chinese ball ammo that was around at the time. I got tired of loosing so many of those Starline cases, so I have pretty much quit messing with the Maks.

Crash_Corrigan
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
If you are shooting under an overhang get some cord and hang a piece of sheet or tarp over it to the right of where you shoot and the empties will hit the obstruction and fall to the ground real easy. Pick 'em all up later without hunting.

Sprue
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
+1 Crash...

Last summer I enjoyed more of my auto's. I bought a Minnow Seine and folded a pocket on one end. Also weighted that same end down with lead. Then I used some brazing rods to use as hooks. When I want to shoot the Mak or anything else that chucks out brass, I hang it up underneath the rafters at the range.

I hate chasing brass. But I love to pickup yours.

DanM
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Yep, I have considered various brass catcher designs. None are practical in my range area. Deep woods, uneven ground, heavy leaf cover. A big tarp does fine for most pistols, and that is pretty much what I am limited to. With Makarovs, the cases just sail through the trees. With the Wolff 19lb. EP recoil spring, which I consider standard, they still go to the next county. I even tried that gadget that straps to your wrist. A big PITA till it broke. So I have given away or sold all my Maks but one. A shame, because they are great little pistols....