PDA

View Full Version : Newbie checks in

Redleg99
01-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi! I’ve been lurking here awhile, ever since Rugerfan showed me this site.
Currently, the only cast bullet shooter in my arsenal is a Dan Wesson model 741 in 41 mag.

I don’t cast – yet. Rugerfan has been kind enough to keep me supplied with cast bullets so far, but I reckon I ought to become self-sufficient at some point in the very near future.

Anyway, great site – I’ve learned a lot here already!

Buckshot
01-30-2006, 02:42 AM
...........Redleg99, Artillery I suspect? Welcome to the board as a poster. Yup, you're right. Rugerfan is going to have to stop pimping you boolits 8)

......................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Redleg99, welcome. Unless that Dan Wesson .41 is the ONLY shooter in your arsenal, don't be so quick to dismiss the others as cast boolit unworthy. The more tme you spend among us far-gone casters, the more you will learn that any firearm can be a cast boolit launching pad, with the possible exception of rimfires.

Redleg99
01-30-2006, 03:37 AM
Buckshot: yup, your suppositions are correct.

NVcurmudgeon: Well, I guess I’m continuing to learn.
Most of my other rifles are AR’s, and I never considered them cast bullet shooters. However, a post by StarMetal in the military rifles section has caused me to reconsider this opinion.
I do have a bolt rifle in 308 that I believe I will eventually cast for – but that’s a down-the-road project.

As for my other pistols, they are Glocks. I’m just not brave enough to try cast bullets in them yet.

Dutch4122
01-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Redleg99-

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Cannon Cocker (Breech Leach, Muzzle Maggot, etc......)

Pull up a chair and join in. Like others have said, it's an awful slippery slope with Cast Boolits.

NVcurmudgeon
01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Redleg, I'm pretty ignorant about AR 15s and Glocks, but when you're ready to try CB in the .308, you can get free sample boolits, and probably more load advice than you have time to test, right here.

Ron
02-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Redleg99, welcome to the board. My Glock 31 9mm shoots a cast 124 grn TC boolit with no signs of problems from leading or any other problem you might have read of. Having said that, I believe that some other calibres of Glocks have had some problems but in my opinion, most are caused by the shooter, not the gun.

Ron.

FESTINA LENTE