PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy!

Bullshop Junior
04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
OH BOY! OH BOY! I CAST MY FIRST BULLET ON SUNDAY APRIL 3 2005!!!!! I used an ideal #358 482. The mold cast a very unusual bullet. It is a wad cutter design, but it sticks out of the case like a real bullet does. so it is a wad cutter with the crimp groove half way down the bullet. here is a picture, of the bullet and it loaded in a 38 spl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/6ce1ba43.jpg

(BULLSHOP MOM IS HAVING TROUBLE POSTING THE PICTURE :-( ... NOT A COMPUTER WEEK FOR ME, I HAVE MANAGED TO *LOSE* OUR WEBSITE TOO! OH BOY! :-o )

I will be shooting these in the Ruger Blackhawk 357.

DANIEL/BULLSHOP JUNIOR

Scrounger
04-07-2005, 01:52 AM
It'll work that way but the bullet is designed to be seated entirely in the case with a little crimp on top of the bullet shoulder, very little.

AKtinman
04-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Bullshop Junior: That looks like the 148 gr version of the 358432. I have the 160 gr version and it is a wonderfully accurate bullet.

In the early '70's I loaded that bullet over some hefty charges of 2400 for my 38/44 Outdoorsman. Bagged a couple of coyotes with it and it worked fine. I still shoot it in my two Outdoorsman and M27.

I always referred to this bullet as a "revolver" wadcutter (aren't they all?) because of the longer nose and the crimp groove that was positioned to provide a small bore-riding band just above the crimp groove, and the longer wadcutter nose. Kind of a half-WC, half-SWC design, which is why I called it a "revolver" wadcutter. It was not a design that would feed in the S&W M52 or the Colt Gold Cup, which required the common deep seating.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of cast bullets!

Willbird
04-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I have that mould in a 2 cavity, mine runs .360 or so from WW, you can set it either way depending on what you want to do, if you want to run it slow push it deep into the case to make the load more consistant, if you want to run it fast seat it out like you did in the picture. and heck you might even find out it shoots better going backwards. I doubt it but then you have lots of time to try things hehe.

If you get real bored you can also hollow point it.

heck I figuired you had already cast at least your own weight in boolits hehe

Bill

mroliver77
04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Willbird helped me to cast my first boolit somewhere around 10 years ago. I dont remember wich boolit it was as I tried every mold he had on the bench.
I think Will has cast his own weight in bullets last week!(And that's a lot of bullets!) Jay

Willbird
04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm slacking this week, didnt even cast one boolit yet, moving that 5700 lbs of lead several times just wore me out hehe.

I did lube size some however and get my Star loader cranked up, I hope that counts.

Bill