PDA

View Full Version : encore 500 S&W ?

Bullshop
01-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Still looking for something to test 450 Marlin and 500 S&W. Was about ready to get the NEF in both but have been reading that they loosen up quickly, comments please.

Am now considering the Encore but cant seem to find it in the 500 S&W. Is it available from TC or would that have to be custom? If custom who and how much? BTW What is a Katahdin? Will standerd barrels fit it?

Round up the usual suspects for a BIIIGGG THANK YOU!!!
BIC/BS

7br
01-30-2006, 09:41 AM
You should be able to get a 500 from t/c's custom shop. Not really sure what a Katahdin carbine is, but from the pictures, it looks like a heavy barrel about 18" long.

C A Plater
01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Here is my OTT .500 barrel if I get the picture thing to work. 20 inches and full bull profile. Shoots very well with 440 grain WFN at 1650fps.

Bullshop
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Here is my OTT .500 barrel if I get the picture thing to work. 20 inches and full bull profile. Shoots very well with 440 grain WFN at 1650fps.
C A Plater
What is OTT?
BIC/BS

C A Plater
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
C A Plater
What is OTT?
BIC/BS

Barrel maker Mike Sirois at On Target Technologies http://www.ottllc.com/

Shepherd2
01-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to you guys but a Katahdin is a SHEEP!

versifier
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Shepard2,
I think you'll find they were named for that big chunk og granite sticking up in the middle of Baxter State Park in Maine, as, I believe, the breed was also.
Bullshop,
OTT produces some of the best Contender and Encore barrels you will find. I keep pissing the owners off because I tend to drool uncontrollably when I handle them. Must be a dog gene or two in the mix.
It was me that had the comments on the Reloaders board about H&R/NEF. My friend got a .30-30 for his son and after 500 rounds it is so loose that it rattles in your hand and you can slip a playing card betwee barrel and action. The barrel is very accurate, MOA no problem, but it hasn't impressed either of us.
Here's the text of the other post:
They are indeed the same gun, made in the same factory, by the same bunch of "assemblers". They make some very accurate barrels, but the mating surfaces of barrel and action are not properly heat treated and they loosen quickly with use. This is more pronounced with heavier recoiling chamberings, but a common fault with all of them. For a light duty spare, they might be OK, but they do not stand up to regular use very well. Their concept of an inexpensive switch barrel is a great idea, but they are not Contenders or Encores in quality and their triggers are absolutely horrible. Careful stoning can improve that a bit, but I like to shoot my guns a lot and two examples I have seen and shot just don't make the cut. Just my experiences with them, YMMV.
As I understand the situation there, they don't pay their workers well, and I am told that they encourage a fairly high turnover rate to keep their labor costs as low as possible. This does little to inspire quality work and drives out anyone with enough experience and knowledge to ensure quality. Two former employees have told me horror stories.

Bullshop
01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I just posted this but looks like it got zapped into space. Try again. I am still not clear on weather or not the katahdin frame will accept reguler barrels. The katahdin carbine is on sale right now so could use some help here, thanks. What makes it different from the standerd encore?
BIC/BS

Shepherd2
01-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Versifier - The breed was developed up in Maine in the 60s & 70s and named after the mountain as you said. I bought 50 of them last year to give them a try. So far I'm impressed. I'll have to find out about this Katahdin carbine. I could tell the wife I have to have on because it's named after the sheep.

tnwill
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
The Katahdin carbine is an Encore with a 18" heavy barrel with a factory muzzle brake. All other encore barrels will fit the frame, only thing that might have to be changed is the forend, as the Katahdin barrels are "heavier" than the standard tapered barrels. Hope this helps

Bullshop
01-30-2006, 08:48 PM
tnwill
Thank you ever so much. That is what I needed, not the sheep thingy.
BIC/BS

KS1911
01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
The katahdin carbine is on sale right now so could use some help here, thanks.
BIC/BS

May I ask who has the katahdin carbines on sale?

versifier
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Katahdin barrels take a different forend. M/L forends, shotgun forends, bull barrel forends, composite forends......
Any excuse to get an Encore is a good one. I had better luck with Hampshires, but they all taste the same with gravy on them. As to not having much use for the sheep thingy, I was once asked by an obnoxious woman if we breed our own sheep. I told her we had much better results when we left it up to the ram.....

357maximum
02-12-2006, 05:38 AM
I heard/read somewhere the khatadin is or will be discontinued.

The_Baron
02-12-2006, 12:35 PM
But factory barrels in 500 S&W are on the way.