PDA

View Full Version : A Wheel Weight Story ---

Ron B.
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Today, I may have gotten lucky ---

Early this morning, my lovely wife convinced me; it was time to drive her north to Pueblo, so the girl could do her favorite thing, shopping! Anyway, I agreed; dropping her off at JC Penny's for a haircut. I dropped by Home Depot; picking up a couple of buckets; planning on going knocking on tire company doors, begging for wws. Ny very first stop; a little tire company one of two boys told me to talk to Dave. Here comes Dave; a big burly sort. I almost forgot what I came for. Anyway, I made my spill

"I huh cast my own bullets; do you have any wws I can get from you? I'll pay for them, if you wish?"

Dave, the quiet type said,

"Wait here!"

I followed his orders to a tee; not budging. Directly, here comes Dave; returning. He's got a cart loaded down with boxes of wws! These are not regular used wws. These are brand spanking new wws.

"$50; you can have em all! We don't use this brand anymore!"

"I don't have that much cash; will you take my CC?"

"You bought from us before?"

"Yes!" I wasn't lying either.

I came home with what amounted to almost two 6 gallon buckets; full of brand new wws! I didn't knock on another single door today.

All you have to do is ask. :) :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :roll:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/PuebloWW.jpg

Only two sizes in the mix!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/ClosUp.jpg

Bill*
02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Quote "Today, I may have gotten lucky ---"

YA THINK?

Ron B.
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
You tell me ---

45nut
02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
huge score there.

briang
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I hate you, you lucky son of a gun. :mrgreen:

Dean D.
02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Where's that darned envy emoticon??? :P :mrgreen:

Congratz on a great haul! :drinks:

Jumping Frog
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I recognize that brand. Those are zinc!

(just kidding)

mtgrs737
02-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Now you can take those to other shops and trade them 2 for 1 for used weights and double your score! Who knows you might even get 3 for 1! New weights are expensive!

Sprue
02-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Yep, zinc... all of em.

Congrats!

carpetman
02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
New wheel weights haven't been broken in so will probably buck in the wind.

Ron B.
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I disagree, too heavy for zinc! :)

Thanks guys!
GRB

Ole
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Wow nice haul! :drinks:

Slow Elk 45/70
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Yup, definatly zink, but if you send them to me, I'll pay the shipping to help you get them out of your way...[smilie=1:

:mrgreen::bigsmyl2:

Ron B.
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I was worried they were either zinc or steel also. I asked Dave about it. The guy was pretty sharp. He told me he would not use either; but these were definitely lead wws. Plus, after you smelted a few thousand lead wws, all you need do is pick a zinc one up. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. Well, the zinc ones anyway. Iron's a little different; at least for me. Thank God I haven't ran across too many of either, out this way.

Thanks!
GRB

Hickory
02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
One of the best deals I ever made on Wheel Weights was about 20 years ago.
I stopped at an old run down garage/gas station to get gas. While walking past the open doors to pay for the gas I looked in side and noticed a number of 5 gal. buckets of what appeared to be w-w's.

While paying my money I asked the attendant "if he had any Wheel Weights he wanted to get rid of?" (I found out a long time ago not to ask to buy them with the first question. Save that question for later)

I only remember once ever seeing a persons face change from dull to delight in an instant.
" Why sure," he said coming out from behind the counter." I've got a bunch you can have. I've been wondering for years how to get rid of them."

It was a good thing I was driving my pick-up, because the load was enormous. 14 full 5 gal buckets and one about 3/4 full, I new that I should offer him money for them and I did but he said that having them out of his hair was all he wanted.
I still have 2 or 3 buckets left.

Ole
02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
One of the best deals I ever made on Wheel Weights was about 20 years ago.
I stopped at an old run down garage/gas station to get gas. While walking past the open doors to pay for the gas I looked in side and noticed a number of 5 gal. buckets of what appeared to be w-w's.

While paying my money I asked the attendant "if he had any Wheel Weights he wanted to get rid of?" (I found out a long time ago not to ask to buy them with the first question. Save that question for later)

I only remember once ever seeing a persons face change from dull to delight in an instant.
" Why sure," he said coming out from behind the counter." I've got a bunch you can have. I've been wondering for years how to get rid of them."

It was a good thing I was driving my pick-up, because the load was enormous. 14 full 5 gal buckets and one about 3/4 full, I new that I should offer hem money for them and I did but he said that having them out of his hair was all he wanted.
I still have 2 or 3 buckets left.

Wow what a haul. :Fire:

I stopped at about 15 out of town places about 2 weeks ago, got almost 2 full buckets for free, and felt very fortunate.

Rockchucker
02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Some people have all the luck.:drinks:

tommag
02-28-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Carpetman has it nailed. New ww's, never having been spun, haven't gotten used to centrifical force, and will get dizzy when shot out of a rifled bbl. They could be used successfully in a smooth bbl., but expect them to stagger like drunken sailors when exposed to the rpm's of rifling.
If you sent them to me, I would be happy to get them acclimated to rpm's.[smilie=1:

swheeler
02-28-2009, 09:16 PM
You lucky dog!

hydraulic
02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
mtgrs has the right idea. I lucked into a similar situation. Nephew worked for a tire shop and they were getting rid of their lead WW's, have no idea why, and he brought me a dozen boxes of brand new WW's. I went down to the local Ford dealer and made a trade. He got the new WW's and I get all their used ones weekly. I'm now ahead about 10 to 1 and still picking them up. Of course, the fact that I have bought nine new pickups from them, over the years, had nothing to do with it.

Ron B.
03-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Guys!

I actually got 5 boxes; each 55lbs, according to the labels. I emptied them into the buckets to save space. Probably not enough to worry with trading; but an excellent idea for sure. I like not worrying with sorting them out; and, not having to contend with the obnoxious odors of dirty, oily wws smelting. What's good, Dave told me to come back, or call later; he thinks he has more.

RB