PDA

View Full Version : Another old Shotgun Question

flhroy
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
This one is for our Brothers to the North. I have an old 'Cooey' 12 ga single shot that i acquired some years back. I haven't been able to find much info on it other then Cooey made training rifles for the Canadian Army. I was just wondering how popular they were and if they were worth anything. Just curious.

Thanks and take care

Bent Ramrod
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Cooey mostly made bolt action .22 rifles based on H. W. Cooey's bolt design. However, they did make a shotgun, a single barrel. The illustration I have shows a top break, an external hammer and a kind of raked beavertail forend with what looks like impressed checkering. It was originally to be called the Model 48, since it was introduced in 1948, but then they found that Harrington and Richardson already had a Model 48 shotgun, so Cooey changed the designation to the Model 84. It was made into the 1960's sometime in the usual gauges, including 28. There's a book on Cooey firearms available from Museum Restoration Service, Bloomfield, Ont Canada K0K 1G0.

The few Cooey .22's I've seen at gun shows are rather high priced for a simple bolt single-shot, and don't move. If I've seen the shotgun, I've not recognized it as a Cooey, so have no idea of the worth.

flhroy
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Bent Ramrod, thanks for the reply. The one i have has no checkering, but other then that your description is exactly what mine looks like. Seems they're decent shotguns but I guess they're also a dime a dozen in Canada.

Thanks again for the reply