PDA

View Full Version : First ML Match

6pt-sika
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Provided the weather isn't to terribly bad , a friend and I are going to the Waynesboro area of Virginia for a ML match .

This will be my first :roll:

I'm using an older TC Renegade 50 cal percussion rifle . Loading with 55 grains of Goex FFG , a .015" patch and a Hornady .490" round ball .

I think the course of fire is 5 shots per target and 5 targets from 25 yards offhand .

With this load from the bench I was able to shoot a ragged hole 5 shot group at 25 yards . My 5 shot standing group was a good bit worse . However in "practice" I was able to keep 4 of the 5 in the black and the one out was by maybe an 1/8 of an inch .

Certainly I'm not ready for any National Championship Match , but I do think I'll have a decent time :drinks:

Boondocker
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Carefull these BP shoots are addicting.:Fire:

JeffinNZ
02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Carefull these BP shoots are addicting.:Fire:

Agree. They are the real back to basics shoots and I enjoy them. No fancy gear needed. These days I just show up with rifle and possibles bag.

6pt-sika
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Boonedocker , where in NE PA you located ?

I lived in Dickson City for awhile a few years bakc and was a member at the "Factoryville Sportsman's Club" . Also hunted out of a camp in Newfoundland PA for a number of years before I moved up there !

Still have a buddy in Newfoundland , but I think he is about ready to move to Wyoming where his parents , brother and nieces live now !

6pt-sika
02-28-2009, 10:35 PM
As for it being addictive I already have two BP matches on the calender at my club here in central Virginia !

I run what we call "Traditional Firearms" !

I'll have three "Lever Action Silhouette Matches",

Two "Sidelock Muzzleloader Matches",

One "Buffalo Match" and a Lever action Offhand match .

Been doing the silhouette matches for three years now and everything else is new ! If much of it flies I might try and a have a traditional archery shoot as well one day !

Boondocker
02-28-2009, 11:58 PM
6pt I live in Hunlock Creek if you remember that place. I am familiar with the Factoryville Club. I am the treasurer for the Harveys Lake Rod and Gun and we have some members that belong there also.:drinks: Glad to meet you. Steve

6pt-sika
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Well we didn't make the ML match today !

There was sleet , snow and ice everywhere at 8AM so we mutually decided to not attend ! They have a shoot the first sunday of each month , so maybe next month !

Of course the first saturday in april will be my lever action silhouette first match of the year ! But perhaps we can shoot levers on saturday and frontloaders on sunday !

northmn
03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Maybe by then you can have that original 36 you posted ready to go. Every one would enjoy that. You live in a center where many originals can be found, I live in a virtual desert for seeing anything but NWTG's. Have fun.

Northmn

6pt-sika
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe by then you can have that original 36 you posted ready to go. Every one would enjoy that. You live in a center where many originals can be found, I live in a virtual desert for seeing anything but NWTG's. Have fun.

Northmn

I am hung up right now on "Contemporary Lonrifles" made by a guy named Al Edge here in Virginia !

www.aledge.com

I really really really like his Early Virginia Rifles that would be called renditions of the rifles from 1740-1780 .

And I also really really really like his rendition of a "John Jacob Sheetz Rifle" this would have been made in 1800-1820 .

Please understand all of what intrests me needs to be legal and acceptable to kill a deer here in the "Old Dominion" so with that being siad I would like one of the Pre Revolution Virginia rifles in a 54 caliber . And a Sheetz rifle in a 45 or 50 caliber .

I gotts ay since studying Contemporary Longrifles on the net and anywhere else I can find info . I also like the school of rifles made in Emmittsburg Maryland as well as Bucks County Pennsylvania !

I've killed plenty deer in my life with inline ML's and of course cartridge rifles , pistols and shotguns . But here lately for some reason I have a LARGE DESIRE to take some deer with a Flintlock Kentucky rifle of the Virginia school ! Also have a friend with a Remington Hepburn in 40-70 Sharps Straight that I'm gonna worry him until he lets me kill a deer with as well [smilie=1:

northmn
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
An individual asked me to assemble a Virginia kit he had purchased. I do not remember who from. It was a 62 caliber with swamped barrel. I don't think the finish was seasoned when he shot an 8 point buck with it. He only uses about 70 grains of powder. Most people get pretty addicted to the BP flinters once they try them. For deer hunting I like the larger bores, not because they are needed but because I feel they offer a little insurance and give better trails. A 45 with RB has taken a lot of deer, but I am currently working on a English style flintlock in 58. You really do not have to load over heavy, with a bigger bore. I found my 50 does about as well with 80 grains of 3f as 90 and my 54 likes about 90 grains of
2f. May not be the absolute most accurate, but they will hit a deer.

Northmn

marlinman93
03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
6pt,
It took me one match with a loaner gun from a friend to decide I really needed to buy my own ML rifle! I wont stop shooting my old cartridge guns, but I sure do enjoy the pace of going through the loading and firing, plus big clouds of smoke are fun too!