PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lube first try

wire nut
02-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I tried to make a bullet lube to use as a pan lube. I used 12 oz bees wax, 6 oz of parrifin, 8 oz of vaseoline and a tablespoon of stp. After trying to pan lube with the lube last nite the lube would not even stick to the boolits. after pushing the boolits out of the lube block the lube would bend just like rubber. It even feels and has a texture like rubber. What could be the cause of this. Is the lube to hard or not hard enough. any help appreciated. Wire nut

Flinchrock
02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I tried to make a bullet lube to use as a pan lube. I used 12 oz bees wax, 6 oz of parrifin, 8 oz of vaseoline and a tablespoon of stp. After trying to pan lube with the lube last nite the lube would not even stick to the boolits. after pushing the boolits out of the lube block the lube would bend just like rubber. It even feels and has a texture like rubber. What could be the cause of this. Is the lube to hard or not hard enough. any help appreciated. Wire nut

BTF outta me!!! Mebbe ya got it too hot,,,or came up with a receipe for tires,,

Ben
02-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Most likely with all that paraffin , you've got it way to hard.

DragoonDrake
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I have had the same problem using 8oz Paraffin, 7.5oz Vaseoline, 4oz Liquid Alox, and 2tablespoons of Carnuba wax. Solution, leave it in the fridge/freezer longer and do not wait for it to warm up. I have found that it is too much vaseoline and not enough paraffin. If you are going to remelt and add more, do so slowly.
After it does warm back up, the boolits stay lubed just fine. I use the above mix in my 45/70 405 & 500 gr boolits.

Adam

wire nut
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I waited 24 hrs to push the boolits out. I don't really think that it is to hard but as this is my first attempt at making lube I am not sure. I plan on adding either more bees wax or parrifin. I am going to try one at a time to see what helps. any other suggestions appreciated. Wire nut

montana_charlie
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm no lube engineer, but I read about homemade lubes (quite a bit) out of pure curiosity.
From that reading, I would say that most everybody uses a wax as the base for a lube.
Some use paraffin, most use beeswax. I have never read of anyone using both.

Then there is your ratio of wax to 'softeners' to consider.
You start with the hard and fairly brittle beeswax, and temper it with the even more brittle paraffin. Were you trying the harden, or soften, the beeswax?

To 18 ounces of (combined) waxes you added 8 ounces of vaseline. The vaseline makes up roughly one quarter of the mixture...enough to (perhaps) make the wax combo 25% softer.
I'm not sure what the STP is supposed to do as it is almost as stiff as the vaseline. Perhaps if it was diesel fuel, it would have thinned the mix out a little bit, leaving you with something that doesn't resemble linoleum.

Perhaps it would be better if you start with your vaseline and STP, than add wax until the mixture becomes hard enough to suit you...

CM

JSnover
02-28-2009, 12:27 PM
That is a pretty hard mix. Mine is 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 10% jojoba oil. When it gets near room temp, pop the boolits out.

felix
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Beeswax is unique in that it is naturally porous; paraffin is not porous making it not an ideal base (container). Beeswax has a melting temp range of 140-170. Paraffin, depending on type, has a temp range of 120-220. The paraffin used for food canning is around 120-140, and is much harder than beeswax. ... felix

Sprue
02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
What recipe you using, your own?

There's plenty of tried and true Recipes here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683

sundog
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
CM and Felix... Felix, the BIG BATCH of FWFL we did a few years ago (in the MOAS) had micro paraffin in it as well as the bees wax as the base. Some of the bestest boolit loob I've ever used!

3rptr
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
From wha I've read in the various lube formulas, you've added too much of everything to the beeswax. Parafin in that amount will make it brittle.

Beeswax from a WC wax ring is not too far off from a great consistency in my limited experience.

Why not use the recipes that are already developed?

There's plenty of options already tested.

felix
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Yep, Corky, that batch came out really good for about all applications, surprisingly. It was intentionally made to have a higher melting point because of the number of orders we had from hot ambient locations. We raised the melting point of the lube by supplying around two percent (volume) 180 degree paraffin from ARCO chemical. Low speed viscosity was obtained adding 25 percent Lanolin because of the demands of the revolter folks; high speed viscosity was obtained by adding about a pint (maybe it was a quart) of castor oil and polymerising it into the mess for about four hours at 120 degree average. We used mineral oil to get the proper feel of the lube, perhaps four gallons worth. ... felix

We ended up with 120 pounds?

Yeah, the glue we used was about a pound of each of poylmers: AC-400 and Vibar-103. We gave up grating Ivory, remember? Witco chemical was too stingy to supply enough sample sodium stearate to do the job.

Ricochet
02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Toilet rings haven't been beeswax for a long time. They're "slack wax," removed by chilling and screening from lubricating oil. Oily paraffin wax.

wire nut
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Sprue go back and read all the recipes, A very large percentage of these has parrifin in them. The parrifin that I am using is food grade parrifin. Also aqot of the recipes also have stp in them. I don't have a lube sizer and don't plan on getting one in the near future. I have been using LLa and wanted to try something for a pan lube. Wire nut

JSnover
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't know that there's anything wrong with your ingredients, just the ratios. Right now you're up to about 3/4 wax. Most of the recipes I've seen don't use more than 2/3 wax, with the majority running closer to half wax and half anything else. Try bumping the vaseline up to 12 oz and the paraffin down to 4 oz. My pan lube is 50% wax. The cake doesn't bend much if any. The boolits pop right out - takes some effort to break them loose. But the grooves are filled and the lube seems to stick pretty well.