PDA

View Full Version : Recycled boolits

sniper
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, I finally got around to doing something about the old, 158gr. SWCs that I bought years ago, and quit using because they leaded so badly. :???:

Reading Veral 9:16-18, I figured that the leading was caused by either poor lube, or too hard alloy. The years those boolits spent hiding under my bench probably dried out what lube there was, too.

Sooooo...just to see, I got a metal canister lid about 5 in. diameter, filled it with boolits, and squirted just enough LLA into it to cover the lube groove. Did that for a couple of loads, and tried hand dipping some. It sure beats wiping Alox off the noses from tumble lubing. I also tried it with some Hornady swaged HP boolits I got from somewhere. They leaded, too.

I figured , if let 'em soak for a while, and it would maybe rejuvenate the old, dried out lube, and if not, would lube the boolits enough. I picked them out, let'em dry, and loaded up some over a minimum load of Universal, which I figure will be dandy for plinkers. We will see. 8-) It sure didn't use much lube for the ~250 I did.

Now, the questions: I have two 8 oz. bottles of Xlox lube. Do I use it the same as LLA? Does it thin with mineral spirits, too?

docone31
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Was the leading due to sizing rather than lube?

Shiloh
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Or old dried out shrunken lube?? A combination?? Will alox swell old lube? I'm curious, let us know.

I believe it does thin with Mineral Spirits. I am going to order some and have an e-mail into Glenn. I believe he told me that his lube, the same stuff as LEE was slightly thicker. All the better. I thin this stuff anyway so I'll get better mileage so to speak.

Thin it heat, it gently in the microwave (Top open or off!!) or a cup of hot water. Makes it flow and coat better. Lube and swirl. Don't be afraid to be stingy with this stuff. Less is better. A THIN coat is quite adequate.

Shiloh

sniper
02-28-2009, 12:02 AM

I don't know. I got 'em from a local caster. The boolits mike ~.3575. The lube was some white looking stuff, and it didn't fill the grooves very well, even when I first bought them. Gaps everywhere.

The leading was at the cylinder end of the barrel. When I was casting my own, lubing with the red sticks Lee sold with its size-lube kit, and sizing .357, no problems ever. That was GOOD stuff, whatever it was.

I opened my present Lee sizer up to its advertised diameter of .358, because it was a little on the small side, and we will see. Maybe I'll buy a .357 sizer just to see what happens. I have to make a range trip and see how my re-lubing exercise worked.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness, isn't it?:wink:

Bret4207
02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I have a theory that leading near the chamber is a size/alloy/pressure issue and leading near the muzzle a lube issue. Nothing says I'm right, but that's my theory.

OLPDon
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I have a theory that leading near the chamber is a size/alloy/pressure issue and leading near the muzzle a lube issue. Nothing says I'm right, but that's my theory.

Well said: Ditto

Don