PDA

View Full Version : What are the stick on wheel weights????????????

haff202
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I have my first bucket of lead. I just cleaned it out, filled the Harbour Freight cast iron pot and now I wait for more time. During the cleaning process I have several pieces of, I think its lead tape. It is flexible like a magnet that would stick to your refridgerator. I also came across some zinc wheel weights. I started out using side cutters to test the softness of each weight. I found some big weights and some small ones but not many.After about 10 minutes of testing each weight with the side cutters I realized the rest" CAN FLOAT!!!!!!"

454PB
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I've yet to find a zinc stick-on wheelweight. Mine have the white to yellow double sided foam tape adhesive on them, and are pure or nearly pure lead. They bend easily in your fingers and smoke like crazy when melted.

Anything that wants to "float" in the melt is suspicious and should be further tested to avoid zinc. However, if you can bend it and it melts at less than 700 degrees, it's not zinc.

briang
02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
In my last bucket I found some stickons that were so soft I could tear them with my hands. i think they were steel powder in something like silicone. They looked like no other weight I have ever seen, very strange.

qtip223
02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I've found several stick-on weights stamped Zn. I let the garbage man have those.

hydraulic
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
I melted my stick-ons last week and had four or five small ones that floated. They may have come from the same strip. Don't know what they were.

mikenbarb
02-27-2009, 11:57 PM
About half my stick ons now are zinc and garbage.:-x I scratch them on concrete and if they scratch it their zinc and streaks are lead. You can definatly tell the difference that way and its pretty quick on sorting them.
PS- That lead tape is garbage. Its new stuff their using and just a type of heavy balancing tape of some sort thats safe for the enviroment supposidly.LOL. Weird stuff.

FN in MT
03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
:( Zinc!! Ugh!

I have been finding 5# or more per bucket of WW's. Especially if the tire store does a lot of foreign cars. Don't think I have found ANY from truck tire shops.

Definetly a PITA to have to search for them

BUT....ruin the pot and they make great sinkers for fishing.....somewhat of a bright side .

FN inMT