PDA

View Full Version : BBA, (Starline brass.)

44man
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Somehow I got brass mixed in my tumbler and found I had some difference at the target. That is when I found I loaded Whitworth's brass from BBA along with my Hornady brass. I ran down to blast off a few today and I was hitting a little right so I added a click to the Ultra Dot. That centered me but I was not too happy with the Hornady brass even though I centered a few cans with them. But a can is easier to aim at.
I tried 3 of the BBA cases and shot a 7/8" group. They hit 1" lower and 1" right from the Hornady brass. I think case tension is much more even and I might have to buy some Starline cases.
This was at 100 yd's with my BFR .475, 420 gr WFN and 26 gr of 296.
How have you found the Starline brass?

Dale53
02-27-2009, 02:12 AM
You and that "handgun" operate a "trifle like a rifle". Fantastic shooting. The only way I could shoot my TC's that well is with six power handgun scopes. With a dot? Never happen with me, as I apparently have never had the eyesight. It really wasn't the equipment, but was/is my eyesight. A feller just CANNOT shoot better than he can see. My .221 Fireball TC Contender shoots VERY well (1" at 100 yards) but I cannot do it with the 2 power scope it often wears. However, I can do pretty well when shooting cans, etc as the sight picture is not so critical.

Good shooting, 44man!

Dale53

44man
02-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks Dale, I can't shoot paper for beans with a dot but cans are easy.
I NEED the red dot for hunting though.
I drew a black can on the paper but kept losing the top of it. Next time I will just tape a can over paper. :drinks:
I only have one scope that will take the recoil and the darn thing has a big dot in it that is worse then the red dot. I can't see it or a deer in the morning or evening either. Nothing but a black hole! :mrgreen:
This gun has gutted a lot of scopes.

Rick N Bama
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks Dale, I can't shoot paper for beans with a dot but cans are easy.

44man, thanks for posting that. Sometimes when I can't group, no matter what I do, I can still shoot "Stuff". It help to know that I'm not alone.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2009, 07:29 AM
got to agree. I bought a s**t pile of hornady brass a while back because i got a deal on it. I much prefer the bba brass. It holds up to much more loading before the necks split.

44man
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
got to agree. I bought a s**t pile of hornady brass a while back because i got a deal on it. I much prefer the bba brass. It holds up to much more loading before the necks split.
That's what I wanted to hear. :p I have not lost any Hornady brass yet but seating boolits feels different. It is prone to fliers, not bad but just enough. I was a little surprised with the BBA brass. I have some more loaded and will test it some more. Looks like I have to scratch up some money for new brass. I will keep the Hornady for hunting, deer are big! :bigsmyl2:

sqlbullet
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Starline brass has been great in my 10mm. I have some going on it's 8th or 9th loading. I have only had one case split, and that case was damaged in a FTF and I questioned even reloading it.

454PB
02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
When I bought my first .454, it came with 300 rounds of Freedom Arms factory loaded ammo and empty brass. I then ordered a few hundred more empty brass, since F.A. was the only supplier at that time. When Starline began selling .454 brass, I bought a box of 500 cases.

The F.A. brass is now beginning to fail due to mouth splits, but the ones that fail have been loaded from 12 to 15 times. The Starline that I have put into service has only been loaded about 4 times, but I expect it to do as well.....time will tell.

Paul105
02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
I have some Starline .475 LB cases that lasted 20 rounds before the necks started to split. All heavy crimped, but loads mostly 400gr at 1,100 fps.

cbrick
02-28-2009, 02:33 AM
44man, I've used a bunch of Starline in several calibers and never had an issue except with the 357 Mag silhouette load. It took an extra 0.5 Gr of H-110 to match velocity (and sight settings) with Winchester or IMI brass. Just a bit thinner with a tad more powder room I'd say.

I uniform all my primer pockets and Starline (357) has the most consistent primer pocket depth and flash hole uniformity of any I've used. IMI brass in most lot numbers run the most consistent weight of the brands I've checked, again in 357.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
some guys might not understand the question totaly. BBA brass is made by starline. Its the hornady brass that hes having trouble with.

44man
02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
True, not real bad though.
Talking about primer pockets, I found something the other day that confused me. I was preparing some Rem .44 brass for a friend that were pick ups at a range. I noticed a raised portion around the flash hole when cleaning the pockets of one batch. The pockets were very shallow and I could not cut them with my uniformer, too much to remove. I just tossed them in the trash.
How in the world did the factory seat primers? These things were a minimum of .020", maybe more, too shallow.

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
remington primers tend to be a bit shorter then the others but i dont know about that much!