PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms 1866 yellow boy

ddeaton
02-26-2009, 10:53 PM
In 45 Colt. What do you guys think? Are these worth the $$. I am thinking of looking at a used one a fellow has.

Boerrancher
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
If I remember correctly they are made by A. Uberti. I have one in a 44-40 that is one of the finest shooting lever guns I own. It has only blown up on me once. The thing to remember is that these guns will fire before the bolt goes into battery, don't ask me how I found out. I love my yellow boy, but learned to be picky about the brass that I feed it when I am not at the house target shooting.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

cajun shooter
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Deaton, All the brass frame guns are loaded with style points for CAS shooting. That being said they are also the weakest and easiest to screw up. The brass receiver will not take a pounding and still perform. Wanted one for years but all my guns are shooters and not wall hangers. Just MHO

ddeaton
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Deaton, All the brass frame guns are loaded with style points for CAS shooting. That being said they are also the weakest and easiest to screw up. The brass receiver will not take a pounding and still perform. Wanted one for years but all my guns are shooters and not wall hangers. Just MHO

I agree, I will hold out for a Marlin.[smilie=1:

Thanks Cajun, I was getting in a hurry wanting one. I am glad someone knocked me back. A lot more $$ also.

Four Fingers of Death
02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
If you just want to shoot cowboy or black powder, there's none better, slicker than frogsnot. If its just a plinker and hunter, Marlin is the go. I have been using an early 1866 for several years now in CASS. Picky about brass and cartridge length. Won't feed Magtec reliably. Loves Winchester, but have to shorten cases a poofteenth of an inch with most boolits. I think the followers on the later ones aren't so short.

Four Fingers.