PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret

skeet1
02-26-2009, 09:42 PM
It was a long wait but my new Lee Classic Turret arrived Tuesday. Tonight I used it for the first time and I couldn't be happier. This is without a doubt the finest piece of equipment I have purchased in many years. It works without a hiccup of any kind. I highly recommend it.

Skeet1

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I can not agree more :drinks:. I had a :Fire:Lyman T-Mag II and a couple of single stage presses set up. Got the Lee Classic Cast Turret and sold the T-Mag and took the single stage presses off of my bench lol. Now the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press is the lone indian and does everything I need to do and well. :) :Fire:

lathesmith
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Lee calls this a "dream machine". I think that's a fair description for me, and I couldn't agree with you guys more. Especially once I got the hang of the priming system this one press replaced the 3-4 odd presses I had been using.
lathesmith

Chunky Monkey
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree completely. I've had mine for 3 years and loaded 1,000's of rounds. Just tonight I finally changed out the square plastic ratchet. Just seemed to get a little sloppy over time. That new ratchet really tightens things up. It's like a new press.

If you ever order anything directly from Lee get about 10 of em, they're cheap. I got one more tucked away.

04heritage
03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I've been using my buddies and I really like it. I had only done shotshells before and this just makes things very easy and relaxing.

gasboffer
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I have one on backorder from Graf & Sons. Am getting backordered parts for it a few at a time. Hopefully, eventually I'll have the complete setup. Glad to hear all the good reports.
Clyde

jameslovesjammie
03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I've had mine for about a week, and I completely agree with the "dream machine" statement. For anyone who does alot of load development, it is a much better choice than a progressive. Load 10 rounds, make a powder change, load 10 rounds. Load 10 rounds, make a OAL change, load 10 rounds. So much faster than a single stage, but with the same precision.

trickg
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
One on hand I've been thinking of going to the Lee Classic Turret press - I figure that from a cost/savings perspective, it would be a great step up from my Lee Challenger single stage press, plus I'd have nearly the same level of precision of the single stage press. On the other hand, every time I start doing a batch of ammo, about the time I'm finishing up the decapping/sizing stage, I think that if I had a progressive press, I'd be done.

Just how much faster is the Classic turret press than a single stage?

JesterGrin_1
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
This might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_yiEku1Cbo&feature=PlayList&p=EEAE18226C23CA88&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

trickg
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
This might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_yiEku1Cbo&feature=PlayList&p=EEAE18226C23CA88&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6
I've seen a couple of those - I'm familiar with the press, but I don't have any firsthand experience with it. I think it would be a great press to move to and I'd probably be happy with it, but I don't know whether or not I'd be better off saving up for a Dillon progressive press, which would be faster, but wouldn't really give me a single-stage kind of feel.

Thanks for posting that vid.

JesterGrin_1
03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Well it depends on how much ammo you wish to load at a time. With the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press depending on you. It would not be a problem to produce from 100 to 200 rounds per hour. But as with any press it depends on the person that will use it.

If you are going to set up a loader to load a bunch of one kind of ammo then I am sure one of the Dillon's or the Hornady LNL would be the way to go.

But for me I like the Lee Classic Cast Turret press as it is easy to change tool heads to load another type of ammo and can be used as a single stage also.

I was in the same boat as in using a single stage press then I decided it was just too slow so I went and purchased the Lyman T-Mag II and then I got the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. I like it so much I no longer have a single stage press set up and sold the Lyman T-Mag II. Do not get me wrong the Lyman was a good unit but the tool heads were expensive and not nearly as fast or easy to set up as the Lee is.

TAWILDCATT
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
when you figure the cost of dillon and the Lee,I think the lee is a best buy.I have the older turret. I have 3 and 2 lee 1000s.I have a lee reloader press but use that for pulling bullets and sizing.I have bonanza and rcbs and herter plus 5 trulines.the best progressive was the RCBS green machine.I use that for 38 spec.
that was the trouble with that to hard to change cal. I load 20 cal and experiment with 41 swiss and 43 mauser also 1873 french revolver.:coffee:[smilie=1: