PDA

View Full Version : BHN of 100% Tin ?

GLL
01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I just tested a bar of Kestler 100% tin and came up with BHN= 11.5.

When I look up the BHN on the web or the literature there is extreme disagreement. I find BHN numbers from 2.9 up to 30 !!! Most of the common sources do not even list a value for pure tin.

Have any of you made a measurement of your own ? Any reliable listings ?

Thanks.

Jerry

9.3X62AL
01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Haven't tried the BHn testing of tin, myself.......but I submit that someone using unalloyed tin as boolit metal could probably afford to water his houseplants and irrigate his garden with Dom Perignon.

GLL
01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
The Excel alloy calculation programs that are available allow you to feed in the BHN of the "ingredients" and thereby determine the BHN of any combination/ratio of lead/tin/ antimony, ww etc. I was playing around and realized that the program has tin BHN listed as 30. This seemed a "tad" high to me ! :) :)

I just scored about 60 pounds of 60/40 solder and 420 pounds of new plumber's lead so thought it might be fun to concoct some known alloys using this program.

My orchids just love Dom Perignon ! ;) ;)

Jerry

Shoot!
01-29-2006, 09:39 PM
hmmm.... I can tell you that an ingot of pure tin will easily dent an ingot of my BHN 18 alloy, but not vice versa. I think that 30 is probably in the ballpark...