PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 9mm 147gr FP

putteral
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi, Just got a double cavity mold in 147gr FP. Have been shooting commercial cast in that weight and I find them very accruate. Has anybody have any experience with this mold. Also it is my first Lyman mold and is there anything special in using it. Have been using Lee molds which I really like. Thanks. :drinks:

SpaceGlocker
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
try that baby with 3.7 gr of WSF...great bunny fart load...perfect for the range ....almost no recoil

Kraschenbirn
02-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I put a few thousand of those through an S&W M59 several years ago shooting steel plate matches. As I recall 5.0 gr AA#5 was acceptably accurate (2"-3" @ 25 yds) and runs just a bit over 900 fps.

Bill

hedgehorn
02-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I bought one of those molds and they wont run through my cz75. They hit the slide stop.

Calehedron
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I shoot them in my TZ75 and they are great for me. I load them over 4.5gr of Power Pistol.

Buckshot
02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
........It's been a super performer in my Witness 38 Super :-) I've had 2 guys send thier moulds in to have the BB removed and wonder if it made a difference in accuracy? Neither mentioned accuracy as an issue, rather it was lube at the BB during lubing.

................Buckshot

putteral
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
4.5 grs of Power Pistol is my favorite too. Now back to casting. The first 200 boolits I cast were perfect, then I noticed that the mold did not seem to be closing right. I continued and found that indeed it was closing completely after cleaning up I saw that the alignment pins had moved out a little not alowing the mold to close. Called Lyman and told me to send the mold back and they would reset the pins. Also I was asked me if I was using Lyman handles. Being honest i said that I was using the Lee 6 cavity handles{ seemed to fit right to me} They said that was what caused the pins to move. Does that sound right?

Baron von Trollwhack
02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
That bullet works well for me in a Sigma using a near max load of WW 231. BvT

cbmj
02-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I use it with 3.0 grs. of Titegroup. You may have to play around with sizing my XD-9 did not like .355 it does better at .357.

Buckshot
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
4.5 grs of Power Pistol is my favorite too. Now back to casting. The first 200 boolits I cast were perfect, then I noticed that the mold did not seem to be closing right. I continued and found that indeed it was closing completely after cleaning up I saw that the alignment pins had moved out a little not alowing the mold to close. Called Lyman and told me to send the mold back and they would reset the pins. Also I was asked me if I was using Lyman handles. Being honest i said that I was using the Lee 6 cavity handles{ seemed to fit right to me} They said that was what caused the pins to move. Does that sound right?

...........I wonder how using Lee mould handles with the mould would make the pins move? There is no contact between them. That's like saying if you use an Autolite air cleaner on your Chevy the radiator cap will leak.

................Buckshot

Jbar4Ranch
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I use 'em in 9mm, of course, but also use a lot of 'em in black powder CAS loads in .38 spl cases.

If you're using a soft lube, lay an old towel over your leg when you're lubing them and give the bullet a quick twist on it when it comes out of the lubrisizer. The soft lube will wipe right off. If you're using a hard lube, keep a wet towel laying on the bench and give the bullet a twist against it before inserting it in the die. The wet surface of the bevel won't allow the lube to stick to it.

hicard
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I had tumbling problems with this bullet in my 9mm. What would cause that?

sundog
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I think that the RCBS PLAIN BASE 147 is a better boolit.

r6487
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I had Buckshot remove the bevels on mine. With wheelweights new bullets dropped right at 158 grains. Thouhgt I would try some of these in a 9mm open bolt gun on a subgun course for increased ft/lbs at knocking over steel targets. First big mistake, 4.5 grains of Unigue(old Hercules) blew major head separation. Gun fires with 1/3 of rear of case unsupported (ie, sticking out back of barrel/chamber). Starting out now with 3.8 grains and working up 1/10th grain at a time with chronograph. Bought another new lyman 147 grain, and falling back to known load. Would have been better off simply resizing some 38/357 cast bullets. Thinking now of hollow pointing said mold to get her back down around 147. still prefer the flat base to beveled. Always learned, if she has a flat base, she will fly straight, without too much concern for what the front end is shaped to.