PDA

View Full Version : Arizona lead find

Gar
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Awhile back a group of us in Arizona tried to do a group buy on lead wheel weights. While we thought we had 5000 lbs, the scrap metal dealer didn’t have them and couldn’t find any. [smilie=b:
Since then I’ve found several scrap dealers in and around Phoenix that do have wheel weights, but they are wanting upwards to 80 cents a pound for them (in 500 lb lots) and no guaranties on the amount of steel or zinc weights that are mixed in.

Now the good news.

Okay, first let me say I have no stake in this business whatsoever. Just consider this a public service announcement.

There is a gentleman in Elfrida, Arizona that is running a shot reclamation operation. I spoke with him last week and this morning he and his wife delivered two 55 gallon drums of reclaimed shot (2 ½ tons) at my house. Cost per pound delivered was 50 cents. He (Mike) and his wife Kathleen McNeeley are really nice people and seem anxious to please.
I asked Mike to bring along an ingot that he had cast so I could test the hardness, using a Lee Hardness tester, it was approximately 17 BHN.

Here is a link to their website, however Mike said they are having a new website built and the address may change next week. Also several new options are being added for the sale of their lead.

http://mcneeley5.googlepages.com/

Happy casting, Gar

RANGER RICK
02-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Good for you.
If I lived close by I sure would get in on a couple ton myself !!!!

RR

Gar
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Actually RR, the guy is from Alaska, moved here about 15 years ago. Just maybe he and his wife might want to vist :wink:

RANGER RICK
02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Yep your right.
Looks like they came from Kodiak Island and that is where my daughter and son-n-law lives .
I live about 60 or so ocean miles away myself .
If they visit I wounder if they can bring a 55 gallon drum as a second piece of luggage ???

RR

AZ-Stew
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
...If they visit I wounder if they can bring a 55 gallon drum as a second piece of luggage ???

RR

Won't fit in the overhead.

Regards,

Stew

Gary51
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info. That's about a two hour run for me and a pretty fun drive. Wonder how many ounces I could shove behind the seat in the old Vette?

Gar
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info. That's about a two hour run for me and a pretty fun drive. Wonder how many ounces I could shove behind the seat in the old Vette?

Heck, if you open the window, I'm sure he can flow a 1000 pounds of shot on the passenger side of that vette. Just have to make all right hand turns on the way home ;)

Gar

Wayne Smith
02-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Anybody know what cross country rail freight charges are??

jdowney
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM

I put a bucket or two on the passenger side all the time - of course mine's a Saturn thats a bit of a junker! I've had them in the trunk too, but man does it start to steer a bit funny :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Lead Miner
02-28-2009, 12:10 PM
The reclaimed lead shot that you bought from Mike. Does that work well for making bullets because if it does I have a large supply of reclaimed lead shot here in the midwest that I am looking to sell.

PatMarlin
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
USPS have a Flat Rate Postal Drum? ...:mrgreen:

kendall yates
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
What is 50 pounds of reclaimed shot worth??

mtgrs737
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Brings back memories of a 71 Pinto with about 1/2 a ton of WW's in it. The Pinto didn't have a lot of ground clearance to begin with!

Lead Miner
03-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, A flat rate drum at USPS. I would like to see the guy that could put that in the mailbox. Full drum would weigh over 3,000 lbs.

duckndawg
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
lead miner i sent you a pm

Gar
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, A flat rate drum at USPS. I would like to see the guy that could put that in the mailbox. Full drum would weigh over 3,000 lbs.

Right at it, of the two drums I bought, one was 2675 and the other one was 2780lbs. and both were about 2" short of being full.
If your going to use it for casting, you really need to add a little tin to the mix to get a nice full out in the mold.

Happy casting