PDA

View Full Version : Cutting sprues with gloved hand

ghh3rd
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I have discovered the benefit of using a gloved hand to cut sprues off, rather than striking the sprue plate. This has worked very well for my 2-cavity mold. Does anyone do this sucessfully with a 6-cavity mold? I was considering a 6-cavity mold, but would still like to 'hand cut' the sprues.

Thanks,

Randy

Gunslinger
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a 6 cavity Lee but that already have a handle on the sprueplate. I must confess... I really don't like banging the sprueplate with a mallet...

You need a fairly thick glove don't you?

Wayne Smith
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I use a welding glove and have no problem with 1 & 2 cavity molds. Haven't mastered the 4 cavity, that takes a whack or two. Probably waiting too long to cut.

Down South
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
All of my 6-bangers are Lee and have a counter lever built into the sprue handle. Most of my other moulds are either one or two cavity and I cut the sprue with a gloved hand. I might have to wack the first few till the mould gets up to operating temp but after that they cut easy with a glove.

Gussy
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
You might consider a small extension welded on the sprue handle. Makes opening really easy.
Gus

ghh3rd
02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks - I think that I'll probably stick with a 2-cavity for my next mold since I really like how quickly I can cut the sprues with my gloved hand and start the next pour. I'm just using a glove with leather on the inside of the hand, purchased at Harbor Freight for about $1, but it works fine.

I only have a single stage press, so casting with a 2-cavity should be sufficient (until someday when I move up to a turret press :-)

Randy

Heavy lead
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
After I get in the groove with the Lyman 4 bangers, they open like butter. The Bull Plate Sprue Lube is no joke, my casting has improved 100 fold since I started using that stuff, I simply cannot believe how it prevents lead smearing.
As far as the Lee 6 cavity, that little handle with the cam workes perfect for me, I do much prefer the system with the Bull Plate, I've heard of people breaking them, but none of mine have.

Bullshop
02-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Glad to know someone was listening
BIC/BS