PDA

View Full Version : Leading Cleanup

insanelupus
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I've heard of all sorts of remedies for cleaning up leading. Aside from the lead remover by Shooters Choice and Lewis Lead Removers what else do y'all use to clean up lead?

I've also heard of using bronze wool. Where is that available and does it harm the barrel/cyldinders and what grades (ie. 00, 000, 0000) etc, are they available in and what is recommended?

mpmarty
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Just put a little chore boy bronze wool on your mop and scrub out the lead. Available in most kitchen soap aisles in your local supermarket.

Recluse
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
*1 on the choreboy.

If I get a really bad case of leading and it's stainless barrel, I mix up a little white household vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and soak the bore for five to seven minutes, then hit it with some Hoppes pretty good.

:coffee:

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
The easy way is to coat the bore heavy with Kroil and let it sit over night. The next day the lead will come right out. If it's a thick coating you might have to do it twice but I've never seen where one time would not work. Later David

Wally
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Where can I go and buy Kroil w/o buying via mail order...

Thanks...

jonk
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Well most good gun shops and some hardware stores should have it.

0000 steel wool will work as well.

Bret4207
02-25-2009, 05:55 PM
4/0 steel wool works fine. I first read about this being used at the Coors Schuetzenfest some years back. I figure if those guys with the big dollar barrels used it, it was good enough for me. I'm also familiar with using it on blued barrels and it never hurt anything on a good blue job either, so I don't see it hurting a barrel.

runfiverun
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
i would just make boolits that fit and are the proper hardess and shoot the lead out.
or at least try a different lube.

ozzy1038
02-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Chore boy type (copper) scrubbers are by far the best method I have tried.

Three44s
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Be aware that there is lots of imposters out there ...........

Take a magnet and test your supposed copper scruber pad material ......

Pure copper or bronze will not draw to magnetisim ....... but bronze or copper COATED steel will!

Besides the Lewis lead remover and copper chore boy or copies ....... I like USP or JB Bore paste .....

These mild abrasives are touted as being non-embedding and do a fine job of mildly polishing bores and chambers alike.

And as my cleaning session winds down I like to switch to CorrosionX and finnally with some dry patches.

AS my leading abates with a new to me gun ......... my use of the abrassive bore pastes also go by the way side ....... also, the need for the copper scrubbers are greatly lessened. The CorrosionX seems to add slickness to the bore that lasts for quite awhile.

NONE of this negates the need for good alloy, good bullet fitament, good loading and good bullet lube .......

Enjoying lead boolits is not a one or two step process ..........

.......... IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!!!

Three 44s

EDK
02-26-2009, 12:51 AM

Thanks...

Try an industrial supply house. I work in a power plant and we used to get it in 5 gallon cans; now we have 16 ounce aerosol cans. It's pretty popular for use in repairing BIG stuff with a lot of semi rusted bolts or stuff exposed to a lot of heat.

I like to had a heart attack when I saw a 10 (or 12) ounce aerosol can priced at $15 in a gun store. The clerk couldn't understand why I was laughing so hard.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

sargenv
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm curious why no one has mentoned the Outers Foul Out system. I don't really have any issues with leading lately having been using Moly coated cast bullets for a while, but I may soon have this issue as I figure out my casting percentages. Foul Out always worked well for me and I never had any issues with it. Maybe someone with some more chemical background can explain why it would be bad to use? That is if it's bad... The process is reverse electroplating.. You plate the rod with the gunk from your barrel be it copper or lead.

ozzy1038
02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
The biggest reason I believe to use copper chore boys' is that they are CHEAP and extremely effective. A pack for $2-3 will last me the rest of my life. The two criteria I look for in products are effectiveness and price. I am willing to overlook price if a product is effective. When you can get both, that is a good deal in my book!

Freightman
02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Just cleaned a rusted leaded Veterlli bore with penetrating oil and chore boy, you could not see down the bore for the rust, lead, and spider webs a few passes and the lead was gone went to the range and put 50 rounds through it and did the same again no more rust, lead, or spider webs Chore Boy is a winner. The bore is now a excellent bore looks new.

putteral
02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
+ 1 on the Chore Boy! :drinks:

montana_charlie
02-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks...
You can pick up some Kroil in an aerosol can at Big R.
That is at 4400 10th Avenue South in Great Falls, Montana.

It's on the top shelf in the section with their other lubricants.
No need to mail order it when you can just drive to the store...
CM

snowtigger
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I used to buy Kroil in the aerosol cans until I found out that a gallon can only cost the price of three cans.
BTW the aerosol cans are labeled "Aerokroil", while the gallons are labeled "Kroil".... Same stuff.

Firebird
02-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Brownell's has the bronze wool, some of it wrapped around an old bronze brush works pretty well. The bronze wool and a little Kroil or CorrosionX also works well to remove any rust that develops on your guns without taking off the bluing.

wwillson
02-28-2009, 01:09 AM
+1 for bronze wool or copper chore boys. I've tried about everything and these two are the best. Be very careful putting steel anything into your SS barrel. SS is very soft and scratches easily.

Wayne

snaggdit
02-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Stainless steel is harder than regular steel. But, stainless has a chemical habit of leeching carbon out of anything with carbon in it. If you were to use carbon steel (steel wool) in a SS barrel, it could end up rusting some. I worked for a stainless steel manufacturer once. In our outside break area there was a sheet of SS. One of the guys gave me a demo. He took a nail and scratched his initials on the sheet. The next day it rained. His initials rusted, while the rest of the plate was clean. Just a warning for SS barrels. Avoid the carbon steel!

wwillson
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. To say SS is harder than regular steel or visa versa is a horrible generalization.

What I meant to say is that T-416 SS after heat treating will have a HRc of about 40 and 4140 will have a HRc of about 50. Both of these steels can be scratched very easily with things like screwdrivers, dental picks, etc. So my point was that before you stick any metal in your barrel to clean it, inform yourself about the hardness of your barrel relative to what you're sticking in it. You might be surprised.

Wayne

Jumping Frog
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Another angle on the lead issue takes place at the range. If I have a good session shooting 300-400 lead boolits though a handgun, I will end the session by shooting 7-10 rounds loaded with FMJ bullets. Cleans everything right out.

There is very little if any lead left in the barrel for the choreboy . . .